What is your favorite Movie/TV 71-73 Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like I read somewhere that this car was one of the cars used in the DAF movie. Is there any truth to that?
No truth to it. The car from The Mechanic was built on 7/11/1971, a month after the final Diamonds chase scenes were filmed.

-Kurt

Movie called " Bounty Killer "

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_642651-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-1971.html

whzkf5.jpg

The best thing about "Diamonds are forever" is after my dad watched it at the drive-in, he went the next day and ordered his/my Mach 1....

1st choice would have to be the original "Gone in Sixty Seconds". Plenty of tire smoke, bent sheet metal, and the sound of that tire smoking 429 Montego chasing Eleanor was a plus!

2nd would go to "Diamonds Are Forever". The red Mach 1 looked great, but the chase scene was sorta dull. Needed to hear that 429 scream as it boiled all the meat off the rear tires!

3rd goes to a Steven Seagal movie "Marked for Death" He drives what looks to be a 73 Sportsroof with torque thrust wheels. Sounds good but unfortunately gets destroyed when the bad guys crush it between a trash truck and a front end loader.

And you can never discuss chase scenes without giving honorable mention to the "One That Started It All" Bullitt!

2nd would go to "Diamonds Are Forever". The red Mach 1 looked great, but the chase scene was sorta dull. Needed to hear that 429 scream as it boiled all the meat off the rear tires!
Agreed - the chase was not directed for suspense or excitement.

On one point though: Not a single car used in DAF had a 429 (see the ISO Mustangs article for more on that). 351C's were the biggest engines on set and have been mistakenly referenced as the big block 429.

-Kurt

Agreed - the chase was not directed for suspense or excitement.

On one point though: Not a single car used in DAF had a 429 (see the ISO Mustangs article for more on that). 351C's were the biggest engines on set and have been mistakenly referenced as the big block 429.

I'm such a 429 fan that it was wishful thinking on my part Kurt. The debate over the DAF cars is sorta like the Hatfields and the McCoys. Everyone has chosen sides and dug in for the duration! LOL I have my Mach 1's and 85 GT registered there so I went back and read the DAF article. Really great info. Hope one day they can find and vin all cars involved and put it all to rest.

Typically, it is not really important for cars used in movies or TV to have the most powerful engines available. A good editor will liven up any footage in "post" with sound effects and good editing.

A 351 equipped Mustang would certainly be a better-handling car than a like-equipped 429, and is easily capable of any of the speeds ot stunts depicted in that particular film. Plus, the producers clearly would not want to spend money on expensive and unneccesary optional engines.

I never truly belived a 429 was used in the film, and when the supposed authentic "Alameda" 429 was debunked, I wasn't surprised.

I know that in the "Dukes", most of the Chargers used were stock 318s, preferred by the stunt drivers.

speaking of movies, the video/film of your car is amazing !
Thanks!!

I read somewhere that cameras don't capture speed well, so it's not really important how fast a car can go as soon as it accelerates well. The rest is camera angles and editing.

Last edited by a moderator:
mary death 4.pngmary death 4.png

That's my "71 Mach 1. It's an everyday driver ( my only car ), and I also use it to tow my drag boats. It is a 351c ram air car....the photo used in the movie is actually the engine in my friend Gilbert's '69, likely a 351w. I still have the "Mary Death" applique' saved in the garage that they applied for the movie.

mary death 5.pngNote the trailer hitch for the dragboats.

There were two leads being considered for "Mary Death"s role. Pre production girl was a blonde, but a brunette was used in the movie. here's a shot of the blonde with my car.

Bounty Killer.jpg

For those that like Grandes, there is a nice one in a quick static shot in Prisoner of Second Avenue (Jack Lemon 1977 or so).

The best thing about "Diamonds are forever" is after my dad watched it at the drive-in, he went the next day and ordered his/my Mach 1....
I like that your dad ordered the car. HOWEVER, I have read a LOT of threads....you bring up an interesting fact. I would love to see a thread on how many parents "ordered" their cars back then verses "just went to the Ford dealer and bought one"

Curious history.

Oh, I like that blonde a lot!!

If I read that right you are the owner of the Mustang featured in that movie, which is pretty cool.
Yes, the car belongs to me. Here's a photo of the brunette actress, Christian Pitre, who made the cut playing the main character, and myself, at the shop.

Mary Death.png

There is a brown coupe in terminator 1, visible few secs on other side of the road

In scene when Sarah Connors park her scooter in front of the dinner

where she works... thanks to 80's VHS wizardry,

I could see back then the parts that mine was missing on the rear.

Oh, I like that blonde a lot!!

If I read that right you are the owner of the Mustang featured in that movie, which is pretty cool.
Yes, the car belongs to me. Here's a photo of the brunette actress who ended up playing the main character, posing with me, at the shop.
Spike! Long time no see! :)

That's a great picture.  I have seen the movie since it was mentioned here. No masterpiece but fun to watch

Your car looks really cool in it (and "Mary" is adorable!)  :)

Back