What rear axle gear do I have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point.
Easy today to check up with the phone. I have a metric face on the speedometer and it shows me about 10 km/h more than actual. With my 351 she could be nice with 1500 rpms I guess. But AOD first and let's see from there.

Using same tire and gear with an AOD (0.67:1 vs 1:1 on the non OD trans).

View attachment 84144
Thanks, Basstrix!
That's a nice tool you have there :) Self-made?
Seems that AOD will shave off about 1000 RPMs at 60 mph. That would be a much more enjoyable ride.

One more question: is there also math available on what speedometer driven gear I should find for this setup? Like, how many teeth will correspond?

Last edited:
Thanks, Basstrix!
That's a nice tool you have there :) Self-made?
Seems that AOD will shave off about 1000 RPMs at 60 mph. That would be a much more enjoyable ride.

One more question: is there also math available on what speedometer driven gear I should find for this setup? Like, how many teeth will correspond?
Thanks, yes, just an excel spreadsheet I put together...comes in handy every so often.

For speedo gear, I used Don C's spreadsheet. Here's a link to it:

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/speedometer-gears.15595/

An easy way to tell your rear axle ratio: put the car up on a lift, and in neutral. Rotate one tire 2 complete rotations and count the revolutions of the drive shaft. If the rear is open, the ratio is the number of drive shaft rotations. If the rear is a posi, then divide by 2 to get the rear axle ratio.
Forgor the most important thing. The other axle must be held in place.

Measure the radius from the ground to the center of the rim. Double that number. Divide 20,178 by that number. That is your tire RPM @ 60 MPH. Mulitiply by your gear ratio and that is your RPM @ 60mph. (no slip) example. Tire =14" x 2 =28. 20178/28 = 720. 720 x 3.50 gear =2520 @60 mph

Thanks guys! Hopefully, I will get the AOD dropped in within the next two weeks now and see then what the GPS shows me as a difference.

Okay, my Q code '72 convertible with a C6 has a 3L25 rear setup. CJ cars have a smaller, higher stall converter on it.

My '72 H code Mach 1 had an FMX and 2.75 open gears from the factory. It's now running a '70 closed chamber head 4V engine, Holley 700 DP carb, '71 CJ cam, and Hooker SC headers, C6 with the CJ converter and 3.91 gears with a Detroit Locker and 31 spline axles and a nodular iron case. I managed to get two gear reduction speedo cables gearboxes from Ford before they became extinct. It pulls like crazy, hooks up well, but goes 70MPH at 4500 RPMs. It's a blast to drive.

Back