What would you pay for an R code block?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 460 crites headers,summit cam ,edelbrock dual plane hi-rise intake,edelbrock 780 carb,C-6 trans,Pertronix flamethrower 2 billet distributor & coil
I"m generally happy with my big block(other than it being so heavy and limited header choices),But I know a local guy that owned several Mach 1"s years ago and has an R code 351 hiding in his mothers basement for the last 30 years.I believe complete but apart.Just curious if I should try to snag it for someday and what I should offer the guy?

I posted this response on a similar thread but it applies the same here:

If it is the read deal - you might advertise the motor and respective partial VIN and re-unite it with the car it came from. Or even sell it to a Boss 351 or 72HO owner looking for a correct motor but non-matching car setup. Make a few bucks for handling the deal and then have the money to buy something trick and more efficient for your car.

Just an idea.

Ray

I'm facing a similar deal, but with a 'basic' 351C-4V.

I'm thinking about having a spare engine on-hand (as back-up for when my .060" blows up, as has been predicted by so many ;) )

I have a similar line on a like engine locally, complete with VIN tags and title, for $500.

Never has been apart.

Basket cases can be good (for inspection of parts) or really bad (missing/damaged/rusted parts).

Its a crap shoot either way.

I may see what he has in mind for a price.Of course depending if it is complete & how rusty it is from being in a damp basement for 30 years.

Yep, always worth a look-see.

If it's a real deal 4-bolt mains std. bore 351c block, you might want to try to sell it for Detomaso Pantera guys. They're allways looking for std. bore blocks and usually they're loaded with cash - just a thought.

http://www.poca.com/index.php/forum

Did you ever check out the engine? I know where an R Code body is with no engine and trans.

Did you ever check out the engine? I know where an R Code body is with no engine and trans.
No , I have not spoke with him for a while .

It is just an engine and should be priced accordingly unless the car it came out of is also available.

Nothing but a standard 4 bolt main block and closed chamber 4V heads that have been set up for an adjustable valvetrain. any 4V heads can be set up this way with a little machining and all vintage engines need new valves to replace the 2 piece valves.

Now a Boss 351 engine may be easy to reproduce, but it would hold extra value in my book.

Back