71 Mach 1 - Novice Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a quick question on the bumper brackets that are spot welded to the trunk floor/rear frame. Do they need to be welded to the tail light panel or do they just sit flush against it until the rear bumper is bolted on? Mine were completely rusted away. Also is there a piece of rubber or something that is supposed to go inside of the actual brace? Had something in mine but it was deteriorated beyond recognition. Thanks.

I weld mine to both, I honestly can't remember if the original was, but I thought the more connections the stronger. Unfortunately I do not have any good pics of that area to show.

The brackets are edge welded with two 3/4" welds along each side and one 3/4" weld on the end. Two 1 inch long edge welds are put on each side where it meets the tail light panel. I've attached a few photos of exactly what Ford called out from the 71-72 Mustang Weld and Sealant Assembly Manual.

This manual was worth it's weight in gold when I restored/rebuilt my Mach 1.

I hope this helps.

20231214_141835.jpg20231214_141845.jpg20231214_141906.jpg

The brackets are edge welded with two 3/4" welds along each side and one 3/4" weld on the end. Two 1 inch long edge welds are put on each side where it meets the tail light panel. I've attached a few photos of exactly what Ford called out from the 71-72 Mustang Weld and Sealant Assembly Manual.

This manual was worth it's weight in gold when I restored/rebuilt my Mach 1.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 83838View attachment 83839View attachment 83840
Sweet thanks, I’ll have to check that manual out I’ve been looking for one. Seems like the previous owner bought 69-70 replacement bumper braces, only difference being the flange the goes to the taillight panel, but it should be fine. Thanks.

Howdy, I recently acquired a 1971 Mustang Mach 1, it was originally a M-Code 4 speed car but the original engine blew up and has been replaced with a correct period 351c 2v. This car was originally owned for about 20 years by my aunt's father in law but due to old age, family, life, etc. it has now become a shattered dream for him. It was once a running and driving mustang but the FIN was an autobody expert by trade and wanted to restore what would be his dream car unfortunately he wasn't able to get around to that in time. As it sits now it is completely disassembled with 95% of the parts still intact and useable, including enough sheet metal to create a new car, which would normally not be needed but it suffers from pretty rough Minnesota Rust. My goal is to restore this car into something drivable and in the best condition I physically and mentally can achieve, looking for local car show quality but not good enough to be scared to drive it. Although I should preface this with my knowledge and know how in this field is minimal, I am 19 and nearly all of my automotive knowledge came from my dad and working on my own 1977 trans am. My weakness within this project is going to be my lack of experience, but with enough time and research I can accomplish a lot. The final vision for this car is faithful to how it came from the factory with some minor changes, grabber blue exterior, black interior, cragar s/s wheels (might trade for mags), mild engine hop ups, and maybe some other quality of life changes, I am starting with bare metal so I have plenty of time to plan and change things.

As for my current project, I will be in the rust repair department for the next couple of months before I can start piecing it together. Since it is apart I figured I should do it right and remove all the rust and make it a solid car. Future projects include, block sand, block sand, block sand, paint, minimal interior redye, small engine rebuild, the whole shebang. Everything will be my own labor done at home with some help from my dad and what ever knowledge the previous owner can lend to me.

That is about it for the initial post, looking for any input, information, and comments you guys have to offer through out this restoration. Thanks.

some pics...

View attachment 78767View attachment 78768View attachment 78769View attachment 78770View attachment 78771View attachment 78772View attachment 78773View attachment 78774
being an original M code. does that mean that it also had an Autolite 4300 carb ? if so.... do you still have it ? i would be curious as to what number code may be stamped onto the side of the carb base.
what was original color, and are you keeping it original ?

Last edited:
being an original M code. does that mean that it also had an Autolite 4300 carb ? if so.... do you still have it ? i would be curious as to what number code may be stamped onto the side of the carb base.
what was original color, and are you keeping it original ?
It came with an autolite carb but its only a 2 bbl since the replacement engine was only a 2v with stock manifold. Not planning on keeping it original since the #s engine is already gone. It was dark green with gray but I might do grabber lime not 100% yet, keeping it factory colors.

Back