What's your MPG?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All kidding aside, I'm actually optimistic that I might see something north of 20-22 mpg, since I swapped in an AOD to replace the flogged FMX, and have 3.00 gears in back. It could even go higher once I get the fuel injection installed.

The irony is if that's the case, my 45 year old hot rod will see better fuel mileage than my 4 year old truck that computes my estimated mpg and flashes the 'ECONO' light on my dashboard whenever I let off the go pedal while I'm still rolling.

That's a good question, but my stock fuel injected 5.0 with headers dual exhaust and 3.50 rear likely puts me mid to high teens in town and low 20's highway.

Last time I checked, it was 6.6 MPG mostly city for a '71 J code 429 4 speed with 3.50 traction-lok rear. The engine has a Holley, cam, headers, MSD, the usual performance trickery. I rather enjoy getting gas though because one or two people will always walk up to check out the car and reminisce about the past.

All kidding aside, I'm actually optimistic that I might see something north of 20-22 mpg, since I swapped in an AOD to replace the flogged FMX, and have 3.00 gears in back. It could even go higher once I get the fuel injection installed.

The irony is if that's the case, my 45 year old hot rod will see better fuel mileage than my 4 year old truck that computes my estimated mpg and flashes the 'ECONO' light on my dashboard whenever I let off the go pedal while I'm still rolling.
You will get nice gas mileage, My 69 vert restomod has fuel injected 302, AOD and 3:55 Tru-Trak rear end. Last year I drove it on a weekend trip for a few days ('bout 450 miles in all) and averaged 24 mpg overall.

You will get nice gas mileage, My 69 vert restomod has fuel injected 302, AOD and 3:55 Tru-Trak rear end. Last year I drove it on a weekend trip for a few days ('bout 450 miles in all) and averaged 24 mpg overall.
Sweet! That's what I like to hear. ::thumb::

In addition to OD I have EFI too and 10.5 cr so that should account for some MPH increase. By increasing the compression ration from 8:1 to 9:1, for example, you can improve fuel economy by about 5 to 6 percent. Tire diameter will also affect the mpg, less revolutions per mile.

My 'ol 71 sportsroof with a 351C4V/4spd got a bunch of different mileages - 20mpg w/3.00 gears, 14mpg w/3.70 and 12mpg w/3.91. I drove it daily during the nice weather, so I was more conscious of the mileage than the weekend warriors. Cam was an old Motorsport 214/224 duration, .510/.536 lift hydro w/Holley 800dp.

The 71 Cougar I had, again a daily driver, 351C4V/4spd w/Comp 280H cam was 16mpg w/3.25 gear. It started out at 9mpg with the stock 4300carb... Best mileage boost was ditching the noisy azz Ford flex fan for a thremostatic clutch fan, that got me 3mpg.

Current Mach is about 16mpg, but the poor 302 is tired...

IMO, gas mileage goes hand in hand with your state of tune. Old cars don't have to have crappy mileage to be fun or "cool". I live sort of in the boonies, so it's 20 minutes to anything - work, parts store, grocery store etc. Having a car that got 9mpg and only ran 13's just doesn't sit well with me...

Let's just say I always make sure I don't stray to far from a gas station when I'm driving it. No OD, C6, 3.5 rear, 351 4V, besides going from a 3 - 3.5 rear, the only changes replaced the points with an Ignitor 1 and stock carb, with an Edelbrock Performer, probably around 10-14 mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back