wheel ofset and backslide

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang fastback,{mine} 74 Chevy Nova {girlfriends car}
2001 Sunfire that is falling apart haha.
my rims are 15x8 with a 4 inch backspace, there seems to be plenty of room in the rear for a 5 inch backspace. Actually I think the 5" may fit better if you go to a tall tire like 275/60 in the rear.

I dont know about the offset question, is +6 in millimeters?

the fronts may have issues with the 5" backspacing

Last edited by a moderator:
My American Racing 15x8 Outlaw I's fit front and rear with room to spare. Pretty sure they're zero offset. I do know the 10" versions fit the rear with 295/50's or 275/60's fine.

I'll have to check the control arm clearance closer for the 5" BS up front.

15x7's are waaay too skinny for these bodies, IMO.

My American Racing 15x8 Outlaw I's fit front and rear with room to spare. Pretty sure they're zero offset. I do know the 10" versions fit the rear with 295/50's or 275/60's fine.

I'll have to check the control arm clearance closer for the 5" BS up front.

15x7's are waaay too skinny for these bodies, IMO.
I was just thinking of using the 15x7 for the front. You think they are to small for that?

I was just thinking of using the 15x7 for the front. You think they are to small for that?
My opinion?

Yes.

What tires are you gonna use up front? Mine had 255/60/15 and it fit. The 8,5 with 5 inch backspace should fit, as the upper control arm (uca), which is the only part that could get in your way, will be next to the tire, so the rim has enough room as long as it sits "under" the uca. If the edge of the wheel is at level with the uca, it´s gonna get tight.

But with 15 inch wheels it should clear it, if I remember correctly.

Can you get the same rims with offset 0? That would be perfect.

Or simply get those with +6 and put a little spacer in between them to get them where you want to.

Currently I have a 18x9 rim with 255/40/18 up front with a -5 offsset and a 4,7 inch backspace and it fits with no issues.

In the rear, you can go up to 10 or even 11 inch wide with no problem.

Please check this thread for all my measurements:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-experiences-with-bigger-wheels

Back