wheel opinions please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Manu64, your car looks good also with the slots.What size are they?

Chris

Hello "norustinyourstang",

I kept the tires from my previous wheels and put them on those rims.

Size are 14x7, ET 0.

I was lucky to find them near home :)

Wanna really look cool with factory slotts..Is to get the old vintage raised letter tires..But they are spendy...But wow...I plan to put them tires on my slotted mags.hehe

Pick your tires before your wheels.

15" tires are getting pretty tough to come by, especially if you don't like Goodrich.
True statement. I have original 15" steel wheels and tires were VERY hard to find for it. I bought what seems like the last set of Firestone 15" Indy 500s. They ad to ship each one from a different state to put a set of 4 together.

Next set it looks like it will have to be BFGs or another size rims.

Pick your tires before your wheels.

15" tires are getting pretty tough to come by, especially if you don't like Goodrich.
True statement. I have original 15" steel wheels and tires were VERY hard to find for it. I bought what seems like the last set of Firestone 15" Indy 500s. They ad to ship each one from a different state to put a set of 4 together.

Next set it looks like it will have to be BFGs or another size rims.
I was informed that 14" white letters were hard to find. Another reason why IO went with 15's.

Hi,I think this thread is going off track,Not be mean but I do not care that tire A is better than tire B. The point originally was to give opinions of the wheel choices I am considering for my Mach1

Magnum 500,Aluminum Slots,Aluminum Magnumm 500s

And I am leaning more tward 15x8 15x10 steel magnums.

Chris

Hi,I think this thread is going off track,Not be mean but I do not care that tire A is better than tire B. The point originally was to give opinions of the wheel choices I am considering for my Mach1

Magnum 500,Aluminum Slots,Aluminum Magnumm 500s

And I am leaning more tward 15x8 15x10 steel magnums.

Chris
My mach has 275/60/15s in back with 15x8 magnum 500s

255/60/15s front with 15x7 magnums.

Even though the car's suspension is higher than stock, and the tires are much larger than stock, I think it looks "right", as these cavernous wheel wells look downright empty with stock sized tires in there.

To most casual observers, my car appears stock. That is the way i like it. Your opinion, of course may vary.

internet OK.jpg

Picture 1007.jpg

Picture 1010.jpg

Picture 1018.jpg

Picture 1019.jpg

Kit, my compliments on a spectaular 429 Ram! 2 questions- are those restored factory M500's? Because they look chromed rather than polished or argent centers, and the red pony is awsome, how did you do that? Finally, not a question just an observation; from the pictures i would never have guessed 275 rears. I would have thought 235's at most. Shows how pics can be misleading. Have you had any rub issues on the front uppers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,Kit Sullivan your car I believe seals the deal for me, that car looks killer.I just would like one size wider on front and rear,but that looks killer!!!!Steel mag 500 it is.

Chris

Ok, I mis-spoke. The tires are 245/60/15 front on 15x7, and 255/60/15 rear on 15 x8. Sorry, I was thinking about my Torino tires.

I had 255s in front for a while and they rubbed just a tiny bit at full-lock turns. 245s solved that.

The red centers I made out of bad caps. I bought 4 repros, and on the first time I washed the car, water got inside the caps and ruined the silver paint. I got 4 more under warranty, took the bad ones apart, washed the silver/ chrome paint out carefully with lacquer thinner, and repainted the horses red. Put them back together and sealed them up with caulk. 10 years later they still look ok.

Yes, they are "Wheel Vintiques" repros. My OEM Magnums were pretty crappy even when brand new. The chrome was dull snd blurry, had tool marks on every wheel where it was gripped to dip them in the chemicals, started rusting almost immediately around the valve stem holes and worst of all...they were all badly out of round.

I replaced them in '99 with the "WV" repros, but they are not perfect. First of all, as you noticed...the spokes are chromed instead of being brushed. But, I like them better that way, so not a big deal to me. Also, they were all very out of balance and out of round right out of the box! I sent them a wheel shop and had them "trued", then I balnced them without tires on them and carefully welded on weight to each wheel. Now they are easy to get a good tire bslance and the car drives smooth. Much better thanwith the OEM wheels or these new ones before I "fixed" em.

Back