Which way to advance the timing?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
IIRC a Chevrolet distributor turns clockwise to advance the timing but since a ford motor rotates a different direction does the distributor rotate counter clockwise for advance?

How much advance does a 351 c 4v like?

hmmm ok so the distributors just get wired in a different direction from a chevrolet but the engine rotates the same direction. A Chevrolet cap wires clockwise 18436572. I noticed from the #1 cap position of the ford the firing order routes counter clockwise.

Yes, Chevy distributors rotate clockwise and Ford V8 distributors rotate counterclockwise, and both have different firing orders.

When you get your timing light connected and start moving the distributor back and forth it will become obvious. Unless the distributor is advanced too far, advancing it also increases engine RPMs.

what are u trying to do ??? timing i guess.. do u have a light or are u doing by ear. if no light and for the time being do the ear. engine running like 2000 rpm rotate dizzy a little each direction and listen for the highest rpm's. put it there and lock it down. i do it that way when i first start a new motor to break in.. but after that i do the light thing..

Back