Who has installed Scorpion Rockers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
Edited post to be more clear...

I intended my machine shop, to mill the pedestals and put in 7/16 studs so I could install a set of Harland Sharp 1.73 roller rockers.

Since this was not done, rather than go back, I am contemplating keeping the heads virgin and using the SCORPION SCP1024BL roller rockers.

My engine is relatively mild with 270# spring pressure at full .525 lift, so I don't think this is going to be an issue with the 5/16 bolt.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my heads machined for the bigger screw in studs and went with harland sharp roller rockers. but if you dont want to take heads back to machine shope you can get the conversion kit and still run studs.

Crane Cams 52655-16 - Crane Rocker Arm Guideplate Conversion Kits

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-52655-16/?rtype=10

they are not intended for race motors but can handle decent HP on the street.

Kevin

I used the Scorpion bolt down pedestal rockers on a a 351C-4V 71 Torino GT several years ago. The cam and springs were similar. They worked fine and fit under the stock steel valve covers with a little work on the fill hole baffles. I would suggest some better pushrods. The stock aftermarket replacements lasted two weeks and one edge of the envelop run. Chuck

I used the Scorpion bolt down pedestal rockers on a a 351C-4V 71 Torino GT several years ago. The cam and springs were similar. They worked fine and fit under the stock steel valve covers with a little work on the fill hole baffles. I would suggest some better pushrods. The stock aftermarket replacements lasted two weeks and one edge of the envelop run. Chuck
How difficult was it too adjust the rockers? Did you get/measure for different size pushrods or did you keep the original height?

Thanks.

I used checking springs, adjustable checking pushrod, and shims to get best reasonable pattern on the stem tip and proper lifter preload. We had the pushrods custom made to length. It was the only time I've used the bolt down system on a 351C. It worked and I never had another problem. However, It was a bit of a PITA and I always worried about the 5/16 bolts. I've never used that system again and I don't believe I'd use anyone's bolt down rockers again on a 351C that was intended for performance. Just one guys opinion. Chuck

Kevin's the man - I also went with a set of Crane Cams screw-in 7/16" studs (52655-16 - same P/N) and some CompCams Hi-Energy cast aluminum 1.73 roller rockers (17045-16). Both are Summit Racing P/Ns.

The studs were kind of a PITA to install (kept backing out as I was loosening the jam nut to move on to the next one), but I figured it out after a short time. Nice to hear it from someone else that they're a solid product.

Back