Why a 71,72,73?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In '79 I had just got my license... My dad knew a guy at work who sold cars on the side. For those that follow hockey, it was Joe Sackic's (Colorado Avalanche)father... I Had $800 in the bank, my father asked me what kind of car I wanted. Having taken Auto mechanics in school for three years previous, I worked on all the major players at the time. I thought for a minute and responded a 'Mustang", No year given...

A week later I had a '71 dark green plain jane 302ci coupe. $700... Learned later it had been in a rear end accident, full of bondo... My auto teacher at the time was trying to get me to buy a '65 Chev Impala convert with the 283ci (something around that displacement). It was just too big...

I have never looked back, always had 71/3's as my fun cars...

Just looking for a set of wheels at the time.

Did not care what just so I could drive it.

A friend of a friend had a car in my price range.

At first I thought they said Granada, but it turned

out to be Grande, no matter never heard of it. Wheels.

Turns out I bought a '71 M-code Grande with toploader

in decent running condition for about $2200. When I

found out what I had I made a decision to restore the car.

Had a three point plan. 1st all things mechanical, then

interior and body/paint. We are 2/3's there. Just needs

body/paint.

mike

I was 12, and saw a rusty, POS 73 coupe for sale at a gas station for $800 bucks. The floor pans were replaced with license plates, but I was in love. My Dad talked sense into me, and I passed on that car. Ever since, I have been in love with the 71-73 body style. Since then, I have owned 5, but never a 72.

I bought my first car, a '67 Mustang in the summer of 1974. I've had a dozen or so Mustangs since then, all '65-'70s.

About 7 or 8 years ago, a friend of mine that I met through our classic Mustang club bought a '73 Mach I locally (351C Cobra Jet, competition suspension, etc.), decided afterward that he had too many projects already, and wanted to know if I was interested. Having been around a while, I was aware of the stigma of the "big Mustangs", but figured I'd give it a look-see. One drive around the block was all it took; I loved the ride quality, the room inside, the handling, and the feeling of solidity over the previous models. We worked out a deal, and I drove it home that day (it's the gold one in my altered avatar pic). I had it for a couple of years, and had a lot of fun with it, but ultimately sold it for yet another project down the road.

I actually took a couple of years away from the hobby after all those years (too busy with work to work on an old car, sick of the politics and in-fighting of our club, etc.), but last summer finally got the itch for another one. I'm 59 now, and though I'm tall, but not a big guy, I've gotten to the point in life where my comfort is a lot more important than having the fastest, best handling, etc., car... so I knew a new Mustang had to be a '71-'73. I also wanted less of a show car, and more of something that I could drive to work, up to the mountains, etc., if I felt like it, without having to worry about tip-toeing over every piece of gravel in the road to avoid a possible rock ding. This '71 I have now just sort of fell into my lap. The price was right, it was sharp but no trailer queen, and the luxury-Grande' model appealed to me as a major change of pace. I can't imagine going back to the smaller older models now!

Last edited by a moderator:
The year was 1984, just got my license I was looking for a car, preferably a Mustang. My uncle, who has had Mustangs all his life, called me and said he had two 73 Mach 1' s and wanted to know if I was interested in one. My dad and I went to his house to look at them. He had them parked in his back yard, one was red and the other was bronze. They both had Cragar SS's. Neither one was perfect but the only thing I saw was bright red and cragars. I purchased it that day and still have it. Ryan

In 1983 or so was looking at 66 fast backs I could afford, then it shifted to 69's........looked at one 72 at a price I could afford and that was it.......my high school car.

Ran for a year, then the engine let go.

Got it running right before graduation. Had a fight with my girlfriend. Both of us wanted to drive to graduation so both of us did....in our own cars.

Looking back all seems so silly. But hell high school......

Still have the car. Basket case. Ordered some parts to hopefully start it.

Good times.

I love the 71-73 style because it ties me to my past when I bought a 1972 Mach 1. Special ordered that car with few options because I couldn't afford to load it up. The day I got it on 5/19/72 I saw my first 71 Boss 351 and had no idea what it was or how rare it would be in the future.

Got married and put a trailer hitch on my 72 Mach 1 and pulled a UHaul trailer from north Texas to Houston where I worked for almost 40 years. Now I have a Boss 351 as close to the same color of my original 72 Mach 1 and the wife I started out with all those years ago. A Mustang is more than a car to me, it played a important part of who I was and who I am today. Although my original car doesn't likely exist today, it's B1 sibling is just as much a part of my family now.

image.jpeg

I chose the 72 Coupe specifically for the reason that the Mustang "Purists" hate them. Go to any Mustang show and you see a few of these years if you're lucky. I knew I was going to build a restomod Pro Touring car, and for what I wanted the 72 Coupe was perfect. I sold a 96 GT Convertible to begin the build and don't regret it one bit. I tend to like things others tend to hate.

It happened when my late father left me some money. All was ok for a few years until I hit the age of 41 and then I went a bit crazy. All of a sudden my old Lotus Esprit wasn't enough. So I started buying guitars every few weeks. Over then period of a year I bought 24 Strats and Les Pauls, but that still wasn't enough. So I bought a Marshall stack. But that still didn't scratch the itch.

Then I saw this on ebay:

Mustang_ad_zpsgsjpiemr.jpg

A few years have passed now and I've calmed down and am enjoying the rewards of my midlife crisis. And I've got an understanding Wife!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back