WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Widebody71: Very very nice, that carbon fiber look are so cool! Cool idea with the hood so you can remove the air from engine bay. Do you think it has a big effect, just asking? Because that would be something I will keep in mind when I start to build my hood if it works :)

71resurrection: Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the hood pins, that's deffently something I will keep in mind. But I still don't want to install the hood latch support, so maybe I have to try to figure out how to install a cable operated latch with a handle inside the car :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There will not be any latch at all. Only the lock downs. So the whole area is completely free. I will however be using a remote latch for the trunk.

The red stud rising out of the aluminum enclosure I made, on the 68 mustang in the above photo, goes through the hood and locks down with this fold down clasp. Very secure and also able to be locked with a key. That is why the stock circle twist down style holes on the 71 hood were filled. The new stud can be fastened to the extension piece that is used to lock down the stock twisting style or it can be fastened to the rad cradle itself at the hood bumper location. It cleans up the whole area and gives me the opportunity to create custom panels that cover up the view of the rad and light boxes. You can also hide things like the MSD box and the horns
A guy that use to be on this site but can see on mine in my photo album, re: on fb Daniel Herberth also his website Pig Vicous Racing (out of Glassboro, NJ) had his red 73 convertible (the 406 touch of the cleveland w/aussie heads and Nitrous tanks )under the front of his hood chromed @ like this but kept the chrome bumper. W/the engine all chromed up w/the pig vicous racing name and emblem etched on the valve covers, placing in all the big car shows. (note the extra added touch of the fabricated roll bar)

Keep up the good work man. Been following this thread since day one and love the new look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'm spending the day putting in a Max Jax hoist. I'm doing all the fitment in my shop (where I stain fibreglass entry doors for a living) and with all of my equipment I need all the room I can get to keep the work flowing. My solution was to get the car off the ground so I don't lose all that floor space. Besides, I built the '68 off my back on 4 jack stands and at 46yrs I don't mind saying cold concrete has an effect on me now lol.

Keep up the good work man. Been following this thread since day one and love the new look!

Thanks. I'm spending the day putting in a Max Jax hoist. I'm doing all the fitment in my shop (where I stain fibreglass entry doors for a living) and with all of my equipment I need all the room I can get to keep the work flowing. My solution was to get the car off the ground so I don't lose all that floor space. Besides, I built the '68 off my back on 4 jack stands and at 46yrs I don't mind saying cold concrete has an effect on me now lol.
I understand that. My dad out in a rotary lift in his garage so I take it over there a lot.

Working on the air extractors. Driver side had to be cut this way to compensate for the clearance at the cowl above the brake booster.

image.jpgThe odd cut out allows this piece to sit flat

image.jpgThe opening will have a small lip fastened around the perimeter (1/2")so that the insert will drop in and sit on top of it and therefore will be flush to the hood skin. When I have it fitted the way I like it I will bond it in and fill the seems to smoothen the whole piece in.

Of course, the piece will get the hole cut out for the air passage but I want to see if there are any grills inserts out there off any car that looks like it could fit right in.

image.jpg

image.jpgFinally got the lift in place. Should help move things along and give me back my floor space for my day job. Lol. Really nice piece if you have an eight foot ceiling in your garage though. Not too difficult am install either.

Just a rear shot of the opening.
You read my mind but cut those ducts into my NASA metal hood and a rig of the middle ram air port like on the 70 Shelby GT350/500 convertible and rigged power fan into an Edelbrock Air Gap to feed in max air.

You read my mind but cut those ducts into my NASA metal hood on my 72 convertible w/r code cleveland and a rig of the middle ram air port like on the 70 Shelby GT350/500 convertible in my attch photo and rigged power fan into an Edelbrock Air Gap to feed in max air. My purpose of rear ducts will be open to allow hot air to be forced out to over top of engine and angled up and sideward on each of duct opening to escape around each end of the windshield.

You read my mind but cut those ducts into my NASA metal hood and a rig of the middle ram air port like on the 70 Shelby GT350/500 convertible and rigged power fan into an Edelbrock Air Gap to feed in max air.

You read my mind but cut those ducts into my NASA metal hood on my 72 convertible w/r code cleveland and a rig of the middle ram air port like on the 70 Shelby GT350/500 convertible in my attch photo and rigged power fan into an Edelbrock Air Gap to feed in max air. My purpose of rear ducts will be open to allow hot air to be forced out to over top of engine and angled up and sideward on each of duct opening to escape around each end of the windshield.
I AM MAKING THE TWO FRONT AIR INTAKES INTO A FUNCTIONAL RAM AIR SYSTEM AND THE REAR EXTRACTORS FOR UNDER HOOD PRESSURE AND HEAT RELEASE. A CENTRE SCOOP LIKE THE 70 SHELBY WOULD LAND IN THE MIDDLE IF MY RAM AIR SETUP. I COULDN'T MAKE IT WORK.

This is like a automatic windshield defroster. Haha

Lol. Ya and if the car leaks oil or coolant the windshield will let me know. On a serious note, that front apron i designed will pull in a lot of air and along with the rear scoops looking cool, they will do a good job of moving the air. I plan on using them to visually cut up the hood by changing up the Mach 1 blackout treatment in a way that works with those new scoops.

image.jpg Hi all. Busy season for my work and the project hasn't even been looked at for three weeks now. Not my style. Prefer to hit it hard till it's done but fun comes before work only in the dictionary lol. In the mean time the rubber letters for my " billboard" style tires have arrived and I lay them out to look at them. Got two sets. White and yellow and will choose which colour when I'm set on the colour of the car.

image.jpgThis is what they would look like. They are just sitting on the tire. The stripe will be cut shorter so that there will be more space between it and the lettering. Old school race look with a modern flare for a muscle car.

Looks cool! What kind of material is the stickers made of? :)
1/16" White rubber. Comes in yellow and red as well. Tire gets prepped clean and then the letters are glued on.

Your talent is unbelievable! If you had a show on cable, it would be on my DVR and I would binge watch instead of working on my own car! So, hang up if Velocity calls! :udaman:
That's too funny. And thanks.

Back