WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very very nice! This should give the Mustang "Snobs" one more reason to appreciate the 71-73 Mustang. Awesome work indeed.

Although these cars need no mods cause they are that sexy I thank you for supporting my vision. Just a little updating is what I'm after. Funny enough I never gave 71-73 a whole lot of thought back in the day and then it's like I saw a ghost -I couldn't stop looking. Still can't !!

Now we have some fun.

Quarter test fit looks good. Still Have to make all the returns for every piece

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks so good, wow! Damn that must be a good feeling to see a all most finished product with all that work it does include. How do you mount the rear quarter into the body when it's build in fiberglass? :) Do you have any idea about how much the front valance will cost? :)

Looks so good, wow! Damn that must be a good feeling to see a all most finished product with all that work it does include. How do you mount the rear quarter into the body when it's build in fiberglass? :) Do you have any idea about how much the front valance will cost? :)
It is very exciting-yes.

The expert that made my parts uses an adhesive that bonds airplanes together. He will build in all the returns around the perimeter where the part doesn't meet the body yet. Then it gets panel bonded into place permanently. I will install the trunk end caps and lower valance first so it will give me the final positioning of the rear quarters. Across the top and down the door including the rocker already touches the body so we are good there. As for the front apron I figure it should have two bolts at the fender in the stock position, two bolts at the lower rad support where the spoiler meets it and two bolts under the bumper onto the bumper cross member. I will likely be installing stabilizer/ adjusting rods to the spoiler myself for the more "race" appearance that I like. There are still a few more things I need to concider first but I think the cost will be between 475 and 585 Canadian for the apron.

The new end cap should give an idea of the extra length of the rear.

image.jpg

Sounds nice, I think it should be strong enought then :) Sounds like you have a lot of work left to complete the products, but in the end it's worth it. I'm so excited to see it all completed! :) The price seems very fair, for all that work you have put in to this. These parts are the first custom parts available for ours cars, so nice! Keep up the great work my friend.

image.jpgThis is a shot of the rear bumper/ apron. I will eventually put up a video that shows the high quality resin and construction these parts will be made from. It will show how flexible and impact resistant the part is without causing damage or spider cracks. In other words I want to give the 71-73 lovers bang for the buck if this is a path they choose to take.

image.jpgGot the front clip completely done. All the returns are put in as well as mounting points at the fenders and lower rad support. Now the piece goes back to the mold to add in these mods to the original mold so it is reproduced accurately. Fits real nice.

image.jpgI pick up the trunk lid tomorrow. Once it finds its home I will use it to line up the end caps and from there the bumper/ valance so that the quarters tell me where they want to live.

image.jpg Was watching TV last night and I got a little bored and thought I should try drawing something more radical for the front and spoiler. I think I would definitely go this way if I was to track the car but since it's going to be just a street machine I think it's a little overkill.

image.jpgAs thrilled as I am with all the components and at finally arriving at this stage there is still a ton of detail work to be done to each part so it can be put back into the mold so it can be scribed in for future parts. I chose to bond the end cap to the quarters so that it becomes one unit for fitment. Also the only body seem in the rear quarter profile will be that of the bumper -clean. I have to say I like the stock clips for attaching trunk and hood. I had those areas beefed up in the hood as an added precaution but it's pretty straight forward for popping on the hood.

Beautiful work! Did you build up the entire trunk lid by your self to? :)
I only extended it 3" and added the duck tail. When the bottom curves under it returns to the stock position. What I mean is the top skin is redesigned but the underside of the lid is a mold of the stock trunk so it closes onto the stock weatherstripping. With the added design the new glass trunk is exactly the same weight as the stock steel trunk. 20lbs.

image.jpg In this photo you can see where the original trunk underside stopped and how much longer I made it. I will build a filler piece and mend it in so it can be extended to meet the top skin and then added to the original mold.

Back