Wide ratio AOD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 351c 2V
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a wide ratio AOD (gear set from the 4R70W). I found SilverFox Performance Transmissions that sells custom buitl wide ratio AOD's with custom valve bodies as well. He seems to be well regarded.

Do any of you know other sources for a pre-bilt wide ratio AOD?

BTW, I finally found a local shop that knew what I was talking about regarding the swap, and is willing to take on the project.:D Planning to have the new tranny drop shipped there.

Also, the guy I talked to about getting the right torque converter and stall, along with the parts for the conversion kit asked me if I knew if my engine was "zero balanced." I said "I don't know what that means. then he said Ineeded to fid out if it is zero balanced, or has a 28oz in balance.... or something lke that. Can any of you school me on his? If I can get my engine serial number, would that help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your cleveland should be the 28oz flexplate. The earlier 351 and 302 windsors were also 28 oz but the later models were 50oz. I was also looking into doing this swap, but havnt got any concrete info on the kind of horsepower an aod can take. Have you heard anything about that from these companies your dealing with? I have seen anywhere from 350-450 is the max HP these trans can take even with aftermarket parts. If thats the case i will be looking at another tranny option. Im going be running atleast 550hp and dont want to grenade a brand new trans.

Good luck with the swap.

Back