Window rattle, and stripped out holes in fender

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
Last week I removed the passenger side inner door panel to replace the outside mirror. Laying on the inside of the door I found these two items. The white plastic piece with three grooves, I located on google. It is referred to as a window anti rattle device. Of course now my passenger window rattles when it is in the down position.

I looked through my ford service manual and could not locate this anti rattle device. Could someone tell me where it should be located, and how to install it?

I also found a small retaining nut that I don't know where it should go.

My second issue is the sheet metal screws that attach the regulator and solenoid to the left fender inside the engine bay. These are black sheet metal screws with a hex head. I believe the size is a #12.

On my car, I am missing a couple of these. The other issue is that where they are missing the screw hole has been stripped out. I attempted a 1/4" lock washer to take up some space and put pressure against the screw head hoping it would hold. This failed.

Do I need to go to the next size large screw, or does someone have a fix for this they can offer.

I purchased this car about six months ago and I'm just finding time to start working on it. I can see I'm going to have a few questions for the forums.

Thanks in advance.

klinton994

I dont recognize that plastic clip sorry.

The stripped screws you mention is common if you are not going restoration

then drill it out 1/4 in and use 1/4 in bolts n nuts.

If no restoration then fill it in by welding and re-drill.

others will chime in

regards

Paul

I hammered the holes flat using a body dolley on the wheel side for backup.

If they strip again I will use the screw and nut method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another neat trick for oversized screw holes is to insert a plastic screw holder like the ones you pound into sheet rock; then use your standard screw. If the flange covers it, no one will know it is there unless they look on the back side.

I dont recognize that plastic clip sorry.

The stripped screws you mention is common if you are not going restoration

then drill it out 1/4 in and use 1/4 in bolts n nuts.

If no restoration then fill it in by welding and re-drill.

others will chime in

regards

Paul
Rocket,

I located where the plastic piece is installed. It is part of the window glass guide that travels up and down on a metal shaft located towards the rear of the door. The guide uses two of the plastic pieces I posted in my thread. The two plastic pieces wedge between the window guide and the metal shaft. It appears the metal shaft need a bit of grease so the window guide would travel up and down freely. I applied grease to the shaft, installed the anti rattle device, and everything works well now.

I'm going to attempt to hammer the area around the holes and see if that works.

thanks

I'm going to try your idea and see how it works out.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocket,

I located where the plastic piece is installed. It is part of the window glass guide that travels up and down on a metal shaft located towards the rear of the door. The guide uses two of the plastic pieces I posted in my thread. The two plastic pieces wedge between the window guide and the metal shaft. It appears the metal shaft need a bit of grease so the window guide would travel up and down freely. I applied grease to the shaft, installed the anti rattle device, and everything works well now.

Does anyone have a picture of that plastic pic installed as described? My drivers window rattles when closing the door if the window is down, I took the panel off and checked for that plastic pic but couldn't find it?

Jim

The bigger question is this: Does anybody offer replacements for these plastic clips? I currently have 3 out of 4 (passenger side is missing one).

The bigger question is this: Does anybody offer replacements for these plastic clips? I currently have 3 out of 4 (passenger side is missing one).
Eric, I can't find them at my normal sources. Don may have one. If not, contact these people. http://www.allclassicmustang.com Good parts at fair prices. Chuck

Thanks, Chuck! ::thumb::

I just looked on that site and found:

Door glass guide lower 71/73 from 2/1/71, anti-rattle insert, set of 4 does both doors

• Door glass guide lower 71/73 from 2/1/71, anti-rattle insert, set of 4 does both doors
  • Door glass stabilizer 71/73 top inner lh or rh set of 4

Holy Cow! That place is awesome!! I'm going to put in an inquiry about the anti-rattle inserts to see which ones are needed to replace the one in the picture.

How do you know all this stuff, anyway? You know what - I don't even care... I'm just glad you're here to pick your brain, and swap stories, and keep the hope alive. :p rofl

Thanks again, Brutha! :cool:

Latest posts

Back