Worth keeping old parts?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
Question for you guys since I am torn. My mach 1 is just about wrapped up on the engine rebuild/front end work. Should I keep any of the old parts the shop took off? Upgraded factory manifolds to long tubes, factory 2bbl intake to an edelbrock/EFI system, and a new radiator. I think the radiator is junk but should I hang onto the intake and exhaust manifolds or at this point are they pretty much scrap?

Parts like these are just going to take up space and eventually get tossed. Consider offering the parts list here and see if anyone is interested. You may be able to sell the manifolds (look on ebay for reference). The radiator can be re-cored if the tanks are still good. Many in the concours circles like to have radiators with the original part numbers and date codes, though I don't think our cars have reached that level yet. Original air filter canister is worth hanging on to. Intake is probably worth more as scrap. Original carb with tag may be of interest to a restorer. Just my $0.02.

Parts like these are just going to take up space and eventually get tossed. Consider offering the parts list here and see if anyone is interested. You may be able to sell the manifolds (look on ebay for reference). The radiator can be re-cored if the tanks are still good. Many in the concours circles like to have radiators with the original part numbers and date codes, though I don't think our cars have reached that level yet. Original air filter canister is worth hanging on to. Intake is probably worth more as scrap. Original carb with tag may be of interest to a restorer. Just my $0.02.
I kind of assumed the same. Worst case I can find some local guys here in AZ that might need them. Radiator is in decent shape but with the rebuild went with something better/more efficient. Didn't hold onto the intake, might as well be a boat anchor. I am keeping the carb as I rebuilt it trying to get it to run, and the manifolds are in decent shape (no cracks), about $200 on ebay but those look fairly new. I appreciate the input!

Keep everything. Sometimes the newer parts are wrong or do not last or maybe cause problems in the future and you would need to reinstall the old parts. My 1972 had 1973 engine mounts. The 73 engine mounts were flanged and were in the way when I had my Sanderson headers installed....there was hard contact. So I changed out the mounts to a proper 1972 type and then there was plenty of clearance for the header. I chucked the old mounts and then found out later I could have sold them for a pretty penny since they were not reproduced and no original parts were available. Also when installing new parts, there is always the 50/50 chance that the new parts will cause collateral problems that domino all over the place and then you would rather reinstall the old part rather than deal with all the other issues. Two years ago I installed a new 4 row aluminum radiator along with cooling fans. The new system actually made my engine run 25 degrees hotter and the A/C no longer worked. The airflow was not efficient with 4 rows. After 6 months of messing around with it I finally yanked out the radiator, fans relays and wiring and reinstalled my old brass radiator with the mechanical fan and shroud. My engine runs cool and the A/C works fine. That was a $700 debacle. Keep the parts!

I am in agreement that if you have the room keep them. You may want to go a different direction with the car in the future or if you do sell the next owner may want to go back to stock. I can also say that when I have acquired other cars it is good to have some parts to move onto the new one if needed. Again, your call just providing the feedback to your question. Best wishes.

Keep everything. Sometimes the newer parts are wrong or do not last or maybe cause problems in the future and you would need to reinstall the old parts. My 1972 had 1973 engine mounts. The 73 engine mounts were flanged and were in the way when I had my Sanderson headers installed....there was hard contact. So I changed out the mounts to a proper 1972 type and then there was plenty of clearance for the header. I chucked the old mounts and then found out later I could have sold them for a pretty penny since they were not reproduced and no original parts were available. Also when installing new parts, there is always the 50/50 chance that the new parts will cause collateral problems that domino all over the place and then you would rather reinstall the old part rather than deal with all the other issues. Two years ago I installed a new 4 row aluminum radiator along with cooling fans. The new system actually made my engine run 25 degrees hotter and the A/C no longer worked. The airflow was not efficient with 4 rows. After 6 months of messing around with it I finally yanked out the radiator, fans relays and wiring and reinstalled my old brass radiator with the mechanical fan and shroud. My engine runs cool and the A/C works fine. That was a $700 debacle. Keep the parts!
Thanks for the insight! Have my old manifolds in the garage, snagged them from the shop yesterday. Will also be picking up the old carb, but the radiator was junk unfortunately. I did opt not to go with electric fans which I was set on based on stories kind of like your own.

Two years ago I installed a new 4 row aluminum radiator along with cooling fans. The new system actually made my engine run 25 degrees hotter and the A/C no longer worked. The airflow was not efficient with 4 rows. After 6 months of messing around with it I finally yanked out the radiator, fans relays and wiring and reinstalled my old brass radiator with the mechanical fan and shroud. My engine runs cool and the A/C works fine. That was a $700 debacle. Keep the parts!
Regarding the radiator, I have always been a proponent for the original style brass radiators. what I appreciate about them is that a radiator shop can torch the tank soldered seams and rebuild the entire radiator. Apart, the core can be rodded out or even replaced with the brass/copper ones but welded aluminum ones are one shot only. The number of rows is one thing, but the fin count density is just as important, maybe more so. On my Oldsmobile 442 I had the original core replaced with a Chevy truck core which has the same dimensions and a higher fin count per inch. This was on the radiator shop's advise, and boy, were they right. That radiator worked wonderfully , never overheated, never even got hot enough to be of concern. You can't put a custom core in an aluminum unit. I'll never run an aluminum radiator as long as the brass ones are available.

I'm at the point where I have to pick and chose what parts to keep and which to get rid of. I cleaned up my mom's yard and tossed out a few original 73 fenders that needed a little TLC. I listed them for cheap and nobody wanted them. I got a 351C holley intake nobody wants short of giving it away. Only way I could get rid of the flat hood was give it away. Off my C-10, I have a set of low compression iron heads nobody wants. The copper radiator is sitting there taking up space. I got the complete 10 bolt rear axle I pulled when I swapped to a 12 bolt. Brake drums, water pumps, pulleys and accessory brackets. Its all only worth its weight as scrap.

I did keep all my AC components and everything related to the C6 (transmission, separator plate, flexxplate, cooler lines, etc). One day I may wan't to put that stuff back on.

I'm at the point where I have to pick and chose what parts to keep and which to get rid of. I cleaned up my mom's yard and tossed out a few original 73 fenders that needed a little TLC. I listed them for cheap and nobody wanted them. I got a 351C holley intake nobody wants short of giving it away. Only way I could get rid of the flat hood was give it away. Off my C-10, I have a set of low compression iron heads nobody wants. The copper radiator is sitting there taking up space. I got the complete 10 bolt rear axle I pulled when I swapped to a 12 bolt. Brake drums, water pumps, pulleys and accessory brackets. Its all only worth its weight as scrap.

I did keep all my AC components and everything related to the C6 (transmission, separator plate, flexxplate, cooler lines, etc). One day I may wan't to put that stuff back on.
Which Holey intake are you talking about?

Back