Would you buy a 71-73 again?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my 72 droptop born in DB and bought out of CT and was super clean body wise. Momma agreed if it was an auto so she could drive it. I am into the daily/weekend driver scene but looking to score a B351 4 speed in the same manner without worrying about the value of it being “rare” and $100k ish.

I want to enjoy my “1 spin” around this deal called life and if my son wants to go “collector” after I’m in a vase, I’m pretty sure I won’t care.

Last edited:
If I were younger and had the time and money for them, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from buying every absolutely loaded one in a preferred color combo in any condition.

We LOVE to drive our First Generation Shelby and Mustangs. For us it began with a 1969 Shelby GT500. A year later we fell into a 1973 Mach 1, and the year after that we fell into a 1973 Mustang Convertible. The Shelby had just gone through a 6 year long restoration and is in near perfect condition. The 73 Mach underwent a deep restoration (that was our doing $$$), and is absolutely gorgeous (if I say so myself). And the 1973 Convertible has just over 20,000 original miles on it (barn stored for 45+ years), and is in impeccable preserved condition. All three are a blast to drive. If we had room in our corral for another car I would be looking for a nice 71 Boss 351. These cars absolutely ROCK!

Attachments

• AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 2
Spike, I completely agree with you. The new cars are beautiful, they're fast, mostly reliable and get me to my destination and back home again without any major problems. But if I'm looking for emotions when driving, I'm looking for them in the wrong place.

When I'm on the road in a classic car, it's always the driving that takes center stage. Maybe my back hurts when I arrive at my destination, maybe I have a hard time getting out of the car, but I still feel joy when I'm on the road in a classic Mustang. I am not cut off from the outside world by insulation, a special chassis or thick upholstery but feel every pebble on the road and every little bump. Even the driving noises reach my ears unfiltered. It is driving with all senses.

To drive the Mustang over the back roads, it is important that the suspension and springs are well maintained and that the steering and brakes function without play. Then I prefer the classic Mustang to all new cars. I attribute a soul to my Mustang that the new cars undoubtedly lack.

To answer the in-depth question: yes I would buy a Mustang again and yes it would again be one from 1971 to 1973.

Frank
Absolutely, the word is soul. I've used that term many times explaining why one thing strikes me more than another. Lots of things today, even people, don't have it.

I would definitely buy another one if I had a chance, maybe a vert to compliment the Mach. I had a 73 in high school and have always talked about getting one to replace that car, and I finally did. I have always loved the lines of them and IMO there is no better looking dash. I can't honestly say that I am a "Ford guy" per se, but I am a 71-73 Mustang guy. My 73 Mach 1 at 17 was my fourth car but my first Ford, at 57 this 71 Mach1 is my second Ford. In keeping that pace I guess I need to wait until I'm 97 to buy that convertible, LOL. Hopefully, I will find the right vert in less than 40 years.

My 71 Mach is my second Mustang. I bought a 74 after HS as a daily driver. It was a POS.
I love, like the rest of the world, the 67 -70 body Mustangs but my budget doesn't allow it.
This one spoke to me in some weird way before I bought it. Next thing I knew it was in my garage.
I love the body style. It screams the 70s and that whole look.
If I found a Grabber blue Mach or convertible I would buy it.

Back