Should I or should I not????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruz72

Reaction score
So a few years ago I bought a 72 mustang grande 351c 2v original transmission(fmxauto)and engine still shifts and runs very good I purchased the car for 2000 dollars my dream car has always been 69–70 fastback but they prices are out of reach and I really feel in love with the 71-73 body style my question is would it be worth restoring this car knowing how much I paid for it and it being a grande or should I sell it and keep chasing the dream??

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpeg
    IMG_0196.jpeg
    875.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Only you can answer this question. Are you willing to forgo your dream car for the car you have? It’s not a logical question, it’s a personal one.

Only you can answer this question. Are you willing to forgo your dream car for the car you have? It’s not a logical question, it’s a personal one.
I agree my dream car is out of reach i just wanted everyone’s opinion if this car was worth investing in everyday I love this body style more

By fulfilling lifetime dreams, you expose yourself to the risk of losing your dream, because it has become a reality.

If you enjoy driving your Grande, taking care of it and repairing it from time to time, you will remain faithful to it. The dream car then remains a point of desire and every time you see one on the road, in a movie or at a car meeting, you can enjoy it. Sometimes a dream car also turns into a nightmare when things then don't go as hoped, for example if there is too much money in this toy, if something expensive breaks in addition, if personal life circumstances change, etc.

Personally, I always enjoy beautifully restored and perfect classic cars. That said, I'm glad my Mustang isn't perfect. The drivetrain, suspension, and brakes are always taken care of, but the paint has slight damage, doesn't shine in every place, and the interior has some wear and tear as well. But I always have a lot of fun driving the Mustang and I'm not afraid of the next little scratch. So I drive with a lot of pleasure between 3000 and 4000 miles a year.

Just my 2 ct.

You need to do what makes you happy. If you are falling in love with the Grande, as you stated, then that gives it more personal value to you. It also comes down to are you going to do the work yourself or have it professionally done. If you are going to have a body shop do the body work and paint it and the mechanicals done by a shop, sadly you are going to have more invested in the car than it is worth. If you do it yourself, you will still probably have as much or more in it than it's worth if you sold it. If you don't care and just love the car and want it nice and plan to keep and enjoy it, then the return on investment doesn't matter. It all comes down to what you will enjoy most. Life's short and we all need to do some things that may not necessarily make good monetary sense, if it makes us happy. I, for example am doing a full restoration on a 71 Mach H code car that had no engine when I bought it, so it can never be a numbers match car. I have built a modified 351C M code for it that dyno'd out at 437 HP. I am doing all the work myself, but I will still have more in it than an H-code, "wrong engine", non-numbers match, color change, interior color change, up-optioned car will be worth. I don't care, because I am not going to sell it, it is exactly what I want in a 71 Mach 1. I have other cars that are worth much more than I invested, that doesn't matter because I'm not going to sell those either. It all comes down to what makes you happy.:)

Last edited:
That's a good-looking Grande you have there. If I were in your shoes, I'd fix up the Grande and have fun with it. For inspiration, take a look at the incredible job @Bentworker has done with his. It's an amazing build!
As for the 69/70 FB, don't give up on your dream but be patient and keep saving and looking and one may come along that is within reach.
My next car will be another 69 Boss 302 to replace the one I sold years ago. They are expensive so I'm taking my time to find the best one I can that's within my budget. I know I'll find one so in the meantime I'm doing lots of planning and research.

It kind depends on what kind of shape is the rest of your grande in and what level of restoration are you fine with driving around?

In the world of 1971-73 mustangs, the average $2000 car is not worth restoring. It is too far gone. If your car really is solid and not eaten up with rust, it would be worth closer to $6000. In which case, you would have gotten a pretty sweet deal.

Something else you may consider is a 69-70 coupe. They're like half the cost of a fastback.
I'm a 71-73 man myself. The 69 fastback has always looked the best to me. But owning and driving a 69, I feel like the 73 is a better driving car. The 69 gets the most complements from strangers.

It kind depends on what kind of shape is the rest of your grande in and what level of restoration are you fine with driving around?

In the world of 1971-73 mustangs, the average $2000 car is not worth restoring. It is too far gone. If your car really is solid and not eaten up with rust, it would be worth closer to $6000. In which case, you would have gotten a pretty sweet deal.

Something else you may consider is a 69-70 coupe. They're like half the cost of a fastback.
I'm a 71-73 man myself. The 69 fastback has always looked the best to me. But owning and driving a 69, I feel like the 73 is a better driving car. The 69 gets the most complements from strangers.
I agree about a 69-70 coupe if you are really set on a 69-70. A coupe might just fit your budget better. I had a 69 coupe when I was a kid and added a Mach 1 hood scoop and painted the center of the hood matte black. I don't have any pictures of that car but found a picture that looks like it from the front (mine wasn't nearly as nice of condition though). I built up the 351W that was in it when I bought it and it was pretty fast. People complimented it all the time back then. No one ever said nice car kid too bad it's not a fastback, LOL. I also agree though, that the 71-73 is a much better riding and handling car.

Attachments

• 69.jpeg
    69.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice grandé you got there! I can't see the details, based on these picts it looks like it's an old lady in pretty good shape that is waiting for attention for a while to me but worth more than 2k for sure! Say a good base. You should have seen how mine was when I got it lol!... Meaning If you want it, it will be totally worth it.
Regarding budget, there are of course stuffs that you need buy and all depends what you start with but if you are handy or can/willing to be, you can save tons and get this car gradually in the state you want it to be. If you let do every repair, replace lots of things vs restore, then yeah, old cars become really expensive.

I agree about a 69-70 coupe if you are really set on a 69-70. A coupe might just fit your budget better. I had a 69 coupe when I was a kid and added a Mach 1 hood scoop
Mine's got the mach1 hoodscoop on it, too. I wanted to swap it over to the shaker style hood. But the blinkers in the mach1 scoop were just too cool. I didn't want to give those up.

1692721602888.png

Mine's got the mach1 hoodscoop on it, too. I wanted to swap it over to the shaker style hood. But the blinkers in the mach1 scoop were just too cool. I didn't want to give those up.

View attachment 80616
Mine looked just like that except black vinyl top and matte black hood and scoop and my scoop had a 351 badge on it. I loved the turn signals in the hood scoop also, I wired them up as soon as I installed the scoop. Although no matter how much I would like to lie to myself back then, it wasn't nearly as nice as yours. Beautiful car, love that blue!

Last edited:
So a few years ago I bought a 72 mustang grande 351c 2v original transmission(fmxauto)and engine still shifts and runs very good I purchased the car for 2000 dollars my dream car has always been 69–70 fastback but they prices are out of reach and I really feel in love with the 71-73 body style my question is would it be worth restoring this car knowing how much I paid for it and it being a grande or should I sell it and keep chasing the dream??
Hey Cruz72, I just recently acquired my 73 Grande and the previous owner did 98% of the restoration work, God bless him! I love the body style and yes, even the vinyl top. Your car looks very achievable. I have restored other cars and it’s not cheap but it can be a project over time if you have it and there’s a great sense of accomplishment each step of the way. I’m going to love taking my car to meets, but people assume you’ve done the work for the car’s condition. Are you comfortable saying I bought her this way and the restorer was fortunately into the details. Or she’s an act of love that I’m loving working on. I don’t think anything can replace achieving it yourself. I think the cool part of your story has already started. One other piece of advice. Don’t overbuy parts and get ahead of yourself. Would love to follow your progress if you decide to keep the Grande.IMG_5858.jpeg

Hey Cruz72, I just recently acquired my 73 Grande and the previous owner did 98% of the restoration work, God bless him! I love the body style and yes, even the vinyl top. Your car looks very achievable. I have restored other cars and it’s not cheap but it can be a project over time if you have it and there’s a great sense of accomplishment each step of the way. I’m going to love taking my car to meets, but people assume you’ve done the work for the car’s condition. Are you comfortable saying I bought her this way and the restorer was fortunately into the details. Or she’s an act of love that I’m loving working on. I don’t think anything can replace achieving it yourself. I think the cool part of your story has already started. One other piece of advice. Don’t overbuy parts and get ahead of yourself. Would love to follow your progress if you decide to keep the Grande.View attachment 80624
Thanks that’s a beautiful car you have love that color I appreciate It it’s a hard decision to make just because aren’t super sought after and no I don’t want to sell the car just wondering if it’s even worth investing into this trim I think for what I paid I’m in a good place

By fulfilling lifetime dreams, you expose yourself to the risk of losing your dream, because it has become a reality.

If you enjoy driving your Grande, taking care of it and repairing it from time to time, you will remain faithful to it. The dream car then remains a point of desire and every time you see one on the road, in a movie or at a car meeting, you can enjoy it. Sometimes a dream car also turns into a nightmare when things then don't go as hoped, for example if there is too much money in this toy, if something expensive breaks in addition, if personal life circumstances change, etc.

Personally, I always enjoy beautifully restored and perfect classic cars. That said, I'm glad my Mustang isn't perfect. The drivetrain, suspension, and brakes are always taken care of, but the paint has slight damage, doesn't shine in every place, and the interior has some wear and tear as well. But I always have a lot of fun driving the Mustang and I'm not afraid of the next little scratch. So I drive with a lot of pleasure between 3000 and 4000 miles a year.

Just my 2 ct.
You make a lot of great points I never even thought about

She’s got a little rust on the rear driver floor board and both rear fenders everything else is pretty solid I forgot to mention it came the original window sticker warranty card and service papers don’t know if it adds value but I thought that was neat

personally I think the 71-73 coupés have a nicer rear window trim and shape beautiful cars
You need to do what makes you happy. If you are falling in love with the Grande, as you stated, then that gives it more personal value to you. It also comes down to are you going to do the work yourself or have it professionally done. If you are going to have a body shop do the body work and paint it and the mechanicals done by a shop, sadly you are going to have more invested in the car than it is worth. If you do it yourself, you will still probably have as much or more in it than it's worth if you sold it. If you don't care and just love the car and want it nice and plan to keep and enjoy it, then the return on investment doesn't matter. It all comes down to what you will enjoy most. Life's short and we all need to do some things that may not necessarily make good monetary sense, if it makes us happy. I, for example am doing a full restoration on a 71 Mach H code car that had no engine when I bought it, so it can never be a numbers match car. I have built a modified 351C M code for it that dyno'd out at 437 HP. I am doing all the work myself, but I will still have more in it than an H-code, "wrong engine", non-numbers match, color change, interior color change, up-optioned car will be worth. I don't care, because I am not going to sell it, it is exactly what I want in a 71 Mach 1. I have other cars that are worth much more than I invested, that doesn't matter because I'm not going to sell those either. It all comes down to what makes you happy.:)
thats something that crosses my mind a lot is this car worth the investment it being a grande but you look at it in a different way they only grande trim for 5 years I believe which that is pretty cool in its self it’s a car I want to pass to my son but I second guess and stall putting time in money into it because of the trim I’m planning on doing all the work my self except the paint and headliner

That's a good-looking Grande you have there. If I were in your shoes, I'd fix up the Grande and have fun with it. For inspiration, take a look at the incredible job @Bentworker has done with his. It's an amazing build!
As for the 69/70 FB, don't give up on your dream but be patient and keep saving and looking and one may come along that is within reach.
My next car will be another 69 Boss 302 to replace the one I sold years ago. They are expensive so I'm taking my time to find the best one I can that's within my budget. I know I'll find one so in the meantime I'm doing lots of planning and research.
Some one in Kansas was selling yellow boss for 55k

Some one in Kansas was selling yellow boss for 55k
Lol! Yep, I saw that one. It's a '70, though. There are a couple '69s for sale but I'm holding out for one with the deluxe interior. Thanks!

Here's mine back in 1982.
1692742215219.png

And parked next to my '72 at a show in Phx, AZ
1692742291533.png

Last edited:
Lol! Yep, I saw that one. It's a '70, though. There are a couple '69s for sale but I'm holding out for one with the deluxe interior.
I dont think its a hard swap. Mine had base interior when I got it. I found a guy on the 69 boards and got the original deluxe door panels and rear side panels with the woodgrain all for like a grand shipped. I think there's a couple other small parts you need to get to swap over the doors.

Its the tach thats the hard thing to swap over. You can't easily put a tach cluster into a non-tach 69-70 car. I think you are limited to aftermarket clusters.

Back