• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: 351C 4V Air Cleaner Assembly with vacuum valve

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don61

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
4 speed, 3.25 Trac-Loc
Yellow w/NASA Hood
Built 06/11/1973
Would like to purchase a good condition 351C 4V air cleaner with vacuum valve (lets extra air in during acceleration) and chrome lid. I have a 73 Q code that does not have the air cleaner with the vacuum valve.

It would seem that some 'Q' code Air Cleaners got this extra valve and some did'nt? Was it just the '73's, does anyone know for sure?

Pretty sure it was 72 only

It was Fords answer to getting caught by the EPA and not being able to put ram air on 4 V cars

So they called it a Cobra Jet and added the diverter door

73 went to just a Q code 4 V and no door

My 1972 Q code had the door, I am guessing anything that came with the 351 CJ motor in 72 got the same air cleaner. I liked the factory chrome air cleaner cover.

Seems like a lot of money for a rusted air cleaner that may not even work.

I cant imagine there is a measurable difference in performance from that small opening?
I don't know if there will be a large difference in performance or not. It has to breath better with two openings vs. one. Besides, it is more of an aesthetics thing and it only takes a few minutes to swap back to the original air cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back