• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - '71-'72 urethane bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Premature comment - please ignore!

Last edited by a moderator:

The inner support and mounts are the same - so since he has a chrome bumper mounted, he should not need these items.

He might need a bolt kit for 18.00.
Just on the pic above, trying to understand exactly how much of the urethane bumper setup is unique: the large metal support piece marked "I", is that unique to the urethane bumper or is it used with the chrome bumper as well?  And what about the licence plate holder - is that the same part on both bumpers?

from what I gathered from Dons posts the support brace labeled I is used on chrome and poly bumpers, I would assume the tag holder is as well however since my location doesn't require front tags I've never had one.

from what I gathered from Dons posts the support brace labeled I is used on chrome and poly bumpers, I would assume the tag holder is as well however since my location doesn't require front tags I've never had one.
Thanks, that's how it seemed to me as well, just wanted confirmation. ::thumb::

bac, the item marked "I" in Don's illustration is the front bumper reinforcement and was used on both chrome and urethane bumpers in 71-72. The license plate bracket was also the same for both versions on the front bumpers for 71-72 Mustangs.

Thanks Steve, from what I've read these weren't available as a repro part for a long time but are now.

If you search this site, you will see some great posts about rebuilding these bumpers. They are labor intensive. Make sure the steel substructure is solid. (surface rust is not too alarming). From everything I have seen about these bumpers, you either pay the big bucks to get one restored already or a NOS one or you put in the time/labor to restore one. It costs either way. Good luck.

And they came on other 71-72 Mustangs beside the Mach 1's...

73's all had the larger endura bumpers.

Ray

I recently came into this and repaired my '73 urethane bumper the last week. I will update my restoration thread soon and there will be a little description of this. It was not my original bumper because this is too rusty under the urethane and to much layers of paint and bondo on it. I bought a good used one with very very minor rust, some chips and only 3 layers of paint from Luxembourg, a few hundred miles from my home, for 350 Dollars two years ago. With all the metal parts and the bumper mounts included, already restorerd. It was a well invested drive and buy! And I met "Luxstang" and other nice people - but that's another story... ;)

It needed a few days but it was doable and no rocket science. I used a good 2 components polyurethane glue in black to fill all the scars. I needed two glues and 8 mixing tubes for all the steps and some sanding paper for hand/block sanding and the excenter sanding machine. With the dremel I cutted every crack and tear to a "V", then filled them with the glue. After let it sit for one night I sanded it down and repeated the step until I was satisfied. Now it is ready for the paint shop to have it primed, filled and painted in Gold Glow ::thumb::

The trick of the whole thing is to find a good and easy restorable base for a reasonable price. This was the only restorable bumper in Europe I found for the last years - and I got it only by speaking with friends from our forum here. If I had nothing more to do one day I will restore my original bumper - but this will be a task for lots of weeks and many glue...

Got a bumper from a forum member here.

Thanks for all the offers and suggestions!

Cheers,

Brian

Back