• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - '71-'72 urethane bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all, new to these forums.  I'm an Aussie in the process of buying a '71 Mach 1 out of California which doesn't have its original urethane bumper.

I have a small window of opportunity to source one of these rare items and get it sent to the seller to include with the car before it gets shipped out to Australia.  My time frame is 4-5 weeks at most, so I realise this is a bit of a needle in a haystack type deal.  But hey, no harm in trying!

So if anyone has a spare and/or knows where one can be bought at a reasonable price, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

Hi all, new to these forums.  I'm an Aussie in the process of buying a '71 Mach 1 out of California which doesn't have its original urethane bumper.

I have a small window of opportunity to source one of these rare items and get it sent to the seller to include with the car before it gets shipped out to Australia.  My time frame is 4-5 weeks at most, so I realise this is a bit of a needle in a haystack type deal.  But hey, no harm in trying!

So if anyone has a spare and/or knows where one can be bought at a reasonable price, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,

Brian.
Brian  PM me your email address

I'll send you pictures / info of the two I have

PM sent - thanks!
Hi Brian

I will do this IF YOU want me to...... I have a NOS bumper that I advertised on Ebay for $2500.00 this year.   Didn't sell - but the $2500 radiator did (go figure)   Anyway I will be driving to AZ (and CA to pick up some 1969 tires) on 1/16/2018.   IF you want bumper (and NOS grill if you need one) TALK TO ME before I leave MI on 1/8/18 !!    The way I look at it is YOU maybe better with Don's parts - BUT if you really REALLY need an NOS one (and help) again I will offer.  Mark Haas

The way I look at it is YOU maybe better with Don's parts - BUT if you really REALLY need an NOS one (and help) again I will offer.  Mark Haas
Hi Mark, I really appreciate your very kind offer but unfortunately I don't have the funds to even consider a NOS bumper.  Depending on what good used ones are going for I may not even be able to afford one of those!  Maybe someone on the forums can provide guidance on current values?

Anyway, thanks again for being so willing to help!

Brian

I didn't know rubber bumpers were offered until 1973. Doing a bit of research, they were standard on Mach 1's.

I didn't know rubber bumpers were offered until 1973.  Doing a bit of research, they were standard on Mach 1's.
Yep and unfortunately nobody does repros of these yet.  Only aftermarket option is chrome which doesn't have the same style.

PM sent - thanks!
Hi Brian

I will do this IF YOU want me to...... I have a NOS bumper that I advertised on Ebay for $2500.00 this year.   Didn't sell - but the $2500 radiator did (go figure)   Anyway I will be driving to AZ (and CA to pick up some 1969 tires) on 1/16/2018.   IF you want bumper (and NOS grill if you need one) TALK TO ME before I leave MI on 1/8/18 !!    The way I look at it is YOU maybe better with Don's parts - BUT if you really REALLY need an NOS one (and help) again I will offer.  Mark Haas
Curious what radiator (for which car/engine combo) would command those $$$? Thanks

PM sent - thanks!
Hi Brian

Curious what radiator (for which car/engine combo) would command those $$$? Thanks
I understand on the need to contain costs.   (knowing shipping is an expense for Aus buyers too) That is why I offered (to have driven to location, included grill if needed AND COULD would have sold for less.  But I get it -- not every car is worthy of certain parts.

Mark

P.S.  Have sold a number of radiators (NOS and recored) for Boss Mustangs.   I LIVE IN BRIGHTON MI.    Most don't know that there were Modine East and West .....so when people pay for Boss 429 and they have "wrong" radiator you can sell, swap and collect the right ones.    The 1971 4 speed "date coded" for a Boss or 429 car is the same price right now.   (Have one 1st week of May 71 -but may use on a 429 car)

I understand on the need to contain costs.   (knowing shipping is an expense for Aus buyers too) That is why I offered (to have driven to location, included grill if needed AND COULD would have sold for less.  But I get it -- not every car is worthy of certain parts.
Hey Mark, I certainly understand where you're coming from and once again I really do appreciate your offer.  To put things into perspective the car I'm looking at is a sub $20K driver with a perfectly OK chrome bumper, so spending $2K on a 'nice to have' NOS part is just out of the question.

Looking for a driver quality used part priced comfortably under $500 if that is an achievable thing...

Cheers,

Brian

while anything is possible finding a poly bumper that is in good shape is hard to do, unless its been refinished, and then the sub 500 price point is kinda shot down.

If that's the way it goes then I set my sights on one that needs a bit more work (I understand pretty much all used ones need some amount) and teach myself how to restore it. If everything in my price range turns out to be too far gone then no urethane bumper for me...

Last edited by a moderator:

I know of two that are in some kind of shape .............I cant say what. I'll check and see how bad and how much. To repair one you need to go ahead and familiarize yourself with the special epoxy's required, I cant tell you what they are but I know that's what is used. The material is a very old kind of heavy poly that wont bond to most fillers. Also the bumper mounts to an inner brace available from Don at ohio mustang and 2 side braces that connect to the inner , those are readily available and fairly cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of two that are in some kind of shape .............I cant say what. I'll check and see how bad and how much. To repair one you need to go ahead and familiarize yourself with the special epoxy's required, I cant tell you what they are but I know that's what is used.
Thank you that would be much appreciated. As for the restoration, there are at least two guides on the net that I have come across:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/75418/

http://www.mach1club.com/showthread.php?tid=175&pid=203

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian

Mark

P.S.  Have sold a number of radiators (NOS and recored) for Boss Mustangs.   I LIVE IN BRIGHTON MI.    Most don't know that there were Modine East and West .....so when people pay for Boss 429 and they have "wrong" radiator you can sell, swap and collect the right ones.    The 1971 4 speed "date coded" for a Boss or 429 car is the same price right now.   (Have one 1st week of May 71 -but may use on a 429 car)
Prices appear to have gone off the charts then... Thankfully, my original radiator was still in the car. Good luck with the sale.

I know of two that are in some kind of shape .............I cant say what. I'll check and see how bad and how much. To repair one you need to go ahead and familiarize yourself with the special epoxy's required, I cant tell you what they are but I know that's what is used. The material is a very old kind of heavy poly that won't bond to most fillers. Also the bumper mounts to an inner brace available from Don at ohio mustang and 2 side braces that connect to the inner , those are readily available and fairly cheap.
The inner support and mounts are the same - so since he has a chrome bumper mounted, he should not need these items.

He might need a bolt kit for 18.00.

While I'm waiting to hear back on other options, I got a lead on a bumper in the 'burbs of Philadelphia but the catch is the guy isn't keen to deal with a non-local.

I know it's a long shot but does anyone here hail from that part of the country? I know I've not been on these forums very long but if anyone would be even a little bit interested in maybe helping out I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Brian

both the ones I know of are busted..........not worth it sorry.
No worries, thanks for checking. 

Heard back from Don at Ohio Mustang Supplies and he has a nice bumper but out of my price range.  Also got some advice from Mustang Mike (a.k.a. Barnett468, who is also a frequent visitor on the Aussie Mustang forums) that the two I was looking at on Craigslist were probably beyond repair.  So I'm beginning to think I was a bit ambitious expecting to get a good one for around $400...

Still keen to hear from anyone who has a solid lead, keeping in mind the budget I have.

Cheers,

Brian

Back