• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB NOS or Show Quality Autolite Gas Cap For Boss 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
Looking for a NOS or show quality Autolite gas cap for a 1971 Boss 351 Mustang. The cap is vented and does not include a cable retainer. A one year only part for the 71 Boss 351. Let me know what you have please.

Looking for a NOS or show quality Autolite gas cap for a 1971 Boss 351 Mustang. The cap is vented and does not include a cable retainer. A one year only part for the 71 Boss 351. Let me know what you have please.
Ok being ignorant is that the flip down if so I have 1not concourse but will clean up not pitted or jacked up

I believe the standard twist on cap with the mustang logo came with the Boss package and the flip open was an optional cap that they discontinued for all mustang models in 72 do to the safety issues in rear impacts.

Hey Mike,
The twist on fuel cap you need is D1ZZ-9030-A (ID# D1ZA-AA, AB, AC) and would have Autolite on the reverse side. Since Ford was transitioning to the Motorcraft brand from late '71 into '72, some early '72 caps could have the Autolite brand but have the '72 ID number. Those caps were D2ZZ-9030-A (ID# D2ZA-AA, AB). For a short time, a D3ZZ-9030-A (D3ZA-AA) fuel cap was used for the '73 Mustangs but was reverse-replaced by the reinstated D2ZZ-A. Of course, those would have Motorcraft branding.

The flip-open fuel cap was exclusive to Mach 1. There was no stand-alone option for this type of cap on the other models. Ford was taking some heat from the Government over the cap's design. During some accidents and rollovers, the cap was not sealing as well as the twist on caps and, in some instances, was popping open and spilling fuel. Ford revised the '71 cap four times and did not resolve the leaking problem. All the revised 72 sales brochures and order guides (as of 1/72) show the twist-style cap on Mach 1. Since several new emissions and safety-related laws were going into effect on January '72, I can only assume that is when Ford changed the cap and got the Feds off their back. :)

1675792826507.png

Hey Mike,
The twist on fuel cap you need is D1ZZ-9030-A (ID# D1ZA-AA, AB, AC) and would have Autolite on the reverse side. Since Ford was transitioning to the Motorcraft brand from late '71 into '72, some early '72 caps could have the Autolite brand but have the '72 ID number. Those caps were D2ZZ-9030-A (ID# D2ZA-AA, AB). For a short time, a D3ZZ-9030-A (D3ZA-AA) fuel cap was used for the '73 Mustangs but was reverse-replaced by the reinstated D2ZZ-A. Of course, those would have Motorcraft branding.

The flip-open fuel cap was exclusive to Mach 1. There was no stand-alone option for this type of cap on the other models. Ford was taking some heat from the Government over the cap's design. During some accidents and rollovers, the cap was not sealing as well as the twist on caps and, in some instances, was popping open and spilling fuel. Ford revised the '71 cap four times and did not resolve the leaking problem. All the revised 72 sales brochures and order guides (as of 1/72) show the twist-style cap on Mach 1. Since several new emissions and safety-related laws were going into effect on January '72, I can only assume that is when Ford changed the cap and got the Feds off their back. :)

View attachment 72971
Steve,
I had 2 72 Mach 1's, both built in April of 72 and both had flip open gas caps. I can't be 100% sure that the red one came with the flip open cap as it had been repainted and had other work done to it before I bought it in 1980. The pewter one for sure was original as I bought that car from the original owner, also in 1980. That car was bought as a parts car which I bought back to life for my winter beater. The 73 stripe kit was given to me, so I used it.

Attachments

• 057_057_01.JPG
    057_057_01.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 071_071_01.JPG
    071_071_01.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 0
Ok so what do u want the twist on or the the flip

My 72 Mach 1 is an August of 71 build and came equipped with an Autolite flip open cap. I assume Ford was using up what they had left in their inventory before changing over to the twist caps. My car is also early enough not to have the passenger side seat belt reminder light installed. These two things make me happy my car was an early build. The 71 Boss I worked on several years ago had a twist style cap that was original to the car.

Ron

Hello Ron,
When the '72 Mach 1 went into production, the flip-open fuel cap was still part of the Mach 1 package. I noticed you mentioned your '72 was built on August 71, which puts it on the assembly line right after the last of the '71s rolled out the door. That early in the production year, your car more than likely had one of the D1ZA '71 caps since the engineers were still revising them. The part number for the cap (D1ZZ-9030-C) remained the same even though they have been found with D1ZA and D2ZA prefixes. When the last revision D2ZA cap was released for '72 production did not fix the problem to the fed's satisfaction, the cap was dropped from the Mach 1 package content.
As with other running changes, there was no hard line in the sand when the decision was made to drop the flip-open Mach 1 cap. These cars were not built in consecutive serial numbers, so you could find two Mustangs with consecutive numbers but built weeks apart. As I had posted earlier, the revised '72 sales brochures and order guides (as of 1/72) show the twist-style cap on Mach 1. When the first '72 Mach 1 went down the line with the twist-on cap, is anyone's guess!

Hello Ron,
When the '72 Mach 1 went into production, the flip-open fuel cap was still part of the Mach 1 package. I noticed you mentioned your '72 was built on August 71, which puts it on the assembly line right after the last of the '71s rolled out the door. That early in the production year, your car more than likely had one of the D1ZA '71 caps since the engineers were still revising them. The part number for the cap (D1ZZ-9030-C) remained the same even though they have been found with D1ZA and D2ZA prefixes. When the last revision D2ZA cap was released for '72 production did not fix the problem to the fed's satisfaction, the cap was dropped from the Mach 1 package content.
As with other running changes, there was no hard line in the sand when the decision was made to drop the flip-open Mach 1 cap. These cars were not built in consecutive serial numbers, so you could find two Mustangs with consecutive numbers but built weeks apart. As I had posted earlier, the revised '72 sales brochures and order guides (as of 1/72) show the twist-style cap on Mach 1. When the first '72 Mach 1 went down the line with the twist-on cap, is anyone's guess!
That is great information and thank you. You rock. I will check the part number on my original flip open cap and let you and everyone know what it is. I have a repro flip open on my car because a few years ago my cap hinge broke when I opened it to refuel. I was beyond pissed to say the least. I stuffed a rag in the fuel filler and continued on to work. I found a cap at work that fit until I got another a flip open replacement.

Ron

Back