Yet another carb question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I bought a near new Holley 600 cfm double pumper with mechanical secondaries for $100. I would like to run it on my 2bbl cleveland. I have an FMX with kickdown, and 3:50.1 rear gears. Would this be a good carb? Does the mech secondaries cause a problem with kickdown? I do plan to get a 4 bbl intake for 2 bbl heads, and I think I have the stock cam in the motor. Thanks!

As best I can recall the older double pumpers do not have provisions for a kick down. The new Ultra HPs do. Chuck

A double pumper is not a good choice for your car. From Holley's web site:

"Intended for lightweight vehicles w/ manual trans or automatics with high stall & low gearing"

Your car isn't considered lightweight but it isn't way too heavy either. What you will want to do is get a high speed stall and some really low gears which will make is less drivable on the street.

Honestly, you would be better off with a Holley Street Avenger.

At 600 CFM it is small enough to work fine on your car if you have rear gears of 3.50 or lower. I believe you can add a kickdown stud to even the older Holley carbs.

That being said, a vacuum secondary carb will be a bit easier to live with. Also make sure you get an electric choke and that you set it up with power that is switched

After much research, I think a VS carb is going to be the way to go. Anybody need 600 dp?;)

Back