Your Restoration Regrets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
selling off the original steering wheel (even though it was damaged/deteriorating) and (though I don't know quite how) forgetting to reset the odometer before we put the engine back in/started driving it again
how would you reset it?

Here is what I'm doing. I bought a good car that i can drive and do mini-projects that only take a weekend, a few weeks, or at the most a month or two. That way you are still able to drive and enjoy the car while fixing it up a little at a time. I bought my car to drive!

This might be a tough link. I could have reused some of the components that were still working fine (PS pump, alternator, distributor, carb and intake, similar things.... ) but I decided to replace all of them when I rebuilt my 351C 2V. Actually, no regrets so far, I guess.
Dang Doc am I gonna grow up and be like you. LOL I seem to be doing the same thing. Won't turn over, well get a new battery, cables, starter, solenoid, voltage regulator and alternator. I figure it will be just be that much longer till it wears out again.

So far on the regret thing its a double edge sword thingy. I regret not buying one that was road ready and driveable. But then again I'm having tons of fun and when its done its all me and mine.

No wait, wait I got it. I regret I didn't do this sooner!!!!

Probably not doing as good of a job as i could have and keeping track of parts. Oh yeah, changing plans when I read all the different ideas here and try to fit them in my plans.

-jbojo
+1

This might be a tough link. I could have reused some of the components that were still working fine (PS pump, alternator, distributor, carb and intake, similar things.... ) but I decided to replace all of them when I rebuilt my 351C 2V. Actually, no regrets so far, I guess.
I don't know Doc. I thought that over as well and figured if it's available (brake system, fuel system, ignition system, ect.) Why risk the unknown. Besides, some things, solenoids for example make great spares. Carburators however I will rebuild. Same goes for just items that needed seals. rebuilding is half the fun. :p

Buy the best car you can afford! Even if you can't afford it right now.... you'll come into more money somewhere down the line..

My biggest regret, and I can not stress this enough, was picking out the right body shop. When I first started my restoration, I picked a local, small body shop in La Porte, Colorado, where I lived at the time. We agreed on a price. I rebuilt and installed the engine per the body shop owners recommendation. Once this was done, I took the car to him. Paid him up front (wrong thing to do) and left it there for 12 months. He proceeded to strip the old paint off. patched the rust by welding in panels he made himself and applying a lot of bondo. Once, when I stopped over to inspect, I noticed the car had been left outside with no hood on it and it had been raining like crazy. I found the engine crankcase full of rain water and surface rust forming on various pieces of my newly rebuilt engine. I changed the oil, and covered the engine with plastic. He basically blew me off. I also noticed cars that had come in after mine were getting done quicker. Long story short, I wound up pulling my car out, losing several thousand dollars and parts. I was so mad, I couldn't even touch the car without losing my temper. The car sat in my garage from 1992 til 2007, when I finally found a body shop here in Las Vegas who would do the job correctly, (which they did). I'm happy to say that my car is almost done! Thanks for letting me ramble on and on. I needed to get that off my chest. The moral of this story??? Check out the body shop, the quality of its work and personnel. DON'T pay the full amount up front. and most of all. Be patient!

My biggest regret, and I can not stress this enough, was picking out the right body shop. When I first started my restoration, I picked a local, small body shop in La Porte, Colorado, where I lived at the time. We agreed on a price. I rebuilt and installed the engine per the body shop owners recommendation. Once this was done, I took the car to him. Paid him up front (wrong thing to do) and left it there for 12 months. He proceeded to strip the old paint off. patched the rust by welding in panels he made himself and applying a lot of bondo. Once, when I stopped over to inspect, I noticed the car had been left outside with no hood on it and it had been raining like crazy. I found the engine crankcase full of rain water and surface rust forming on various pieces of my newly rebuilt engine. I changed the oil, and covered the engine with plastic. He basically blew me off. I also noticed cars that had come in after mine were getting done quicker. Long story short, I wound up pulling my car out, losing several thousand dollars and parts. I was so mad, I couldn't even touch the car without losing my temper. The car sat in my garage from 1992 til 2007, when I finally found a body shop here in Las Vegas who would do the job correctly, (which they did). I'm happy to say that my car is almost done! Thanks for letting me ramble on and on. I needed to get that off my chest. The moral of this story??? Check out the body shop, the quality of its work and personnel. DON'T pay the full amount up front. and most of all. Be patient!
Doug,

I'm sorry you went through all that misery at first, but am glad you finally found a shop that delivered.What advice you have offered above is very true. Being a pro spraypainter myself for many years, and knowing how the trade and bodyshops opperate, my strong advice to all people wanting body work done would be - Please, please take the effort, time and trouble to do your homework on investigating any bodyshop before you have any dealings with at all. Reputable recommendations from people you know and trust very well, play a big part as well. If you know just about everything exactly how the bodyshop is run, all the people behind it, it's reputation, quality of work done, that is all the battle.

Sadly, in my trade, there have always been too many rip offs, shonky dealers, lousy workers, lousy work done, and time thieves that muck you around for ever while you endlessly wait for your car to get finished. So as a customer, you really have to be carefull who you choose to run with to get your work done. Do your homework and choose carefully!

Greg:)

I'm really enjoying my resto in an overall way, but there have been four main issues that have managed to annoy and frustrate me and cause me some degree of regrete with my restoration.

Firstly, i've been victim to dealing with differant repair shops that have ripped me off on not doing the job that i aked for properly.(shonky work) and also overcharging me large amounts of money.

Second, i have found it hard dealing with the fact that there are not enough aftermarket parts at this stage available for '71-'73 Mustangs.And a lot that are available are cr*p quality as well. Despite what some people say about enjoying the challenge and the fun of fixing up old buggered original Ford parts, all i want is to get on with the show, have quality parts available for me to buy, enjoy installing them without too much drama, and then enjoy seeing the fruits of my labour in the finished product and result. Is that too much to ask? But alas, that comes down to a so called 'lack of demand and not enough money to be made concept' i guess.

Thirdly, spending money on parts that i thought i needed, and ended up not wanting at all.

Fourthly, owning an American Car in an overseas country is much more expensive than owning and restoring that same car in America. Import costs & taxes are expensive,paying for pro work to be done on your car is expensive, buying parts and waiting a long time for them to be shipped out to your country is expensive. That takes, to some extent, the edge off the pleasure of owning and restoring thing as well.

Greg:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My regret is not finding this site before I found my car!I ended up with a pretty solid car,but wish I had all this knowledge I"ve been learning from you guys first.

I wholeheartedly intend to make sure I never have to wind up in this confessional of a thread.

:D

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I wholeheartedly intend to make sure I never have to wind up in this confessional of a thread.

:D

-Kurt
He's just trying hard not to let the aggravation of those quarter panels show!
LOL I remember reading about those I think.

Even with mistakes we make in the getting her back into shape, and believe me I've only just begun to make mistakes, I think we all keep a positive attitude cause its fun and the future end result is always in our head. We all know what we want our car to exactly be when its done. I can see mine right now. Regrets, mistakes..... just part of getting to that picture in my head.

I guess I do have one regret: tossing small clips and other doodads that probably cost pennies when they were new back in '73, but now are either outrageously expensive or nonexistent. I wouldn't throw anything out.

Some of mine so far are:

1. Finding a problem, figuring out a "fix", "fixing it", running into problems, THEN doing a Google search and finding out how to properly fix it or that a replacement part costs next to nothing.

2. Wasting too much time on details that no one will see... like 3 coats of POR 15 on the floor because the second coat had streaks... haha... Only to put B-Quiet down over it anyway.

3. Started with an all original car, not a previously amateur restored car and finding "surprises" :)

Some of mine so far are:

2. Wasting too much time on details that no one will see... like 3 coats of POR 15 on the floor because the second coat had streaks... haha... Only to put B-Quiet down over it anyway.
Wow...I'm actually doing the EXACT same thing right now in my 1970. My third coat is for more of an additional layer on the putty I used but yeah...why am I going back to cover streaks when I'm putting down underlayment and new carpet...no reason. Thanks Machlovin.

Back