Moving an engine backwards

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I understand that rearward movement of the engine will improve weight distribution, balance, handling etc.

I also understand that I have neither the skill nor time to undertake such a surgical alteration to my car so this thread is mostly about knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Does anyone have experience with this modification and , if so, can you tell me how far the engine has to move rearward for the benefits of the modifications to be very noticeable? I assume a dry sump pan would be a helpful mod to keep the engine low and maintain ground clearance, along with custom headers and likely a steering box modification or rack and pinion "upgrade"

I figure that moving the engine back 4-5 inches is probably doable but would require firewall and transmission tunnel mods. More than that I expect would require major surgery.

Would such modifications require replacement of the front suspension with some other type?

Feel free to insult me with your disdain Wolverine

Probably need a custom driveshaft as well/

The motor mounts and tranny mounts are actually pretty easily done. Again, depends on how far you are wanting to move it and for what reason. Drag strip? Go too far and you'll need wheelie bars. Road racing? Serious suspension modifications. Depends on what your goal is. Light the wrench and open the checkbook.

Like Mark said... ain't nothing the gas axe won't cure!

I would estimate a 2-3" setback would be the most without major surgery. A rear sump pan may take care of that issue.

As for the benefit. I think a good aluminum headed windsor would take more weight off the front wheels... jus sayin'

I'm as wide as my clothing will allow at this time. LOL

I realize a custom driveshaft would be in order, along with a custom shifter, a custom transmission mount, custom pedals, relocation of AC box, seats, windshield wiper motor and a whole shitload of minor little details. I am not planning to do it to my car, but . . . I'd like to someday build a 71 or 72 Mustang to run at track days and I want one that can carve corners like a race bike. It is a dream, but not completely unrealistic . . . I just have to get one more really good settlement . . . and 2 boys thru college . . . :(

I've read that you can move the engine as much as 3" toward the firewall. Some people who have put other transmissions into our mustangs have had to do this modification to make the shifter fit in the stock hole. Here's one story....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/T56Swap/index.php

(requires subscription to see the part of the article describing setback)

Ron Morris makes it "easy" by providing adjustable motor mounts:

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rmp&Product_Code=6110

Of course, as others have pointed out, driveshaft and exhaust will probably need to be modified for the new location.

I have a set of the Ron Morris adjustable mounts. I bought them for my Windsor but ended up not using them. They look like they are designed well and very sturdy. If anyone is interested in them, PM me. They are out of the box but never installed.

Mike

Back