351 Celvelan 2V Timing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickenspolitics

Reaction score
My Car
72 351 Cleveland
I have a stock 1972 351 Cleveland 2v with a 4 bbl carb on it. The motor is worn and I run it on cheap gasoline (87 octane). What should I time the motor at?

It says 6 degress BTC in the book, but that was in 1972 when gasoline had much higher octane.

Welcome from Arkansas. There are guys who get down right scientific about timing but i always set mine by ear, but that is not the best way. but someone will be along to give you the numbers

I know mine likes 14 degrees of base timing, 6 degrees is likely not enough, you could try setting it at 10 degrees btdc and fine tune from there. If you get any starter kick back, engine ping or detonation back the timing off a little bit at a time until you get it dialed in.

For a 351C I have always used 8' initial timming as a starting point and gone from there, Total timming is a different story, a ball park figure is around 30-34' plus sometimes as high as 38', it all depends on the motor and car..

Even on 87 octane gasoline? I'll set it ahead until it pings or boggs on the start.

Even on 87 octane gasoline? I'll set it ahead until it pings or boggs on the start.

What is the minimum size battery I can use with the stock 351 2V?

Last edited by a moderator:
At idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, advance to maximum vacuum reading. Drive and see if there are problems with knocking or pinging or dieseling when shutting it down. If any of the above, back the initial timing off and try again. If the performance drops too much with this method, run premium and try it again. I have found that premium or better works best even though it is considerably more per gallon than regular 87 octane with my Cleveland.

I have a flathead F1 with no timing marks and the same procedure worked well for it.

Welcome from Arkansas. There are guys who get down right scientific about timing but i always set mine by ear, but that is not the best way. but someone will be along to give you the numbers
My mechanic taught me how to set the timing by ear.

After the proper carb settings have been made, the engine

works as a unit, you turn the distributor gently back and forth

until the engine sounds best. Turn the distributor one way until the engine runs poorly then the other way until it runs poorly.

Somewhere in between is the sweet spot and you can hear it.

After timing the engine by ear we attached a light and vacuum gauge.

The mark read 16 BTDC and 16in Hg. This is a quench 351C 4V with

a stock intake and Holley 770 Avenger plus mild cam. It runs well.

mike

At idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, advance to maximum vacuum reading. Drive and see if there are problems with knocking or pinging or dieseling when shutting it down. If any of the above, back the initial timing off and try again. If the performance drops too much with this method, run premium and try it again. I have found that premium or better works best even though it is considerably more per gallon than regular 87 octane with my Cleveland.

I have a flathead F1 with no timing marks and the same procedure worked well for it.
I've got to get a vote in for premium fuel too.....

Back