6V TO 12V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILLIAMPARDELL

Reaction score
My Car
72 MACH1
35000 MILES
HI ALL

I WANT TO CHANGE FROM 6V TO 12V ON MY 55 FORD. DOES ANYONE HAVE A IDEA ON HOW TO DO THIS. BEEN TOLD TO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS. ANY IDEAS ON WHERE TO LOOK? THANKS FOR ANY HELP

BILL

009.JPG

The early ford cars are my favorite...That is a beautiful 55. You have to change gen to alt, voltage reg, bulbs, and you will need a resister for the gauges and factory radio. The starter will just turn better so no need to change it. As for the ignition...the points will need an upgrade with condenser, and the coil changed. Have I missed anything guys?

6V was also positive ground. 12V conversion changes to negative ground. I have been toying with the idea of doing the same in my 1950 F1 but for now am leaving it as is.

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS GREAT. JUST HARD TO START IN COLD CHICAGO WINTERS AND I WANT TO SWITCH FROM VACUME WIPERS TO 12V ELECTRIC ONES. THEY DONT MAKE THEM IN 6V. ALWAYS AFRAID TO GET CAUGHT IN RAIN. I HAVE A EXTRA GENERATOR FOR MY 64 MUSTANG THINK IT WILL WORK? WHAT ABOUT POINTS AND STUFF WOULD THEY BE THE SAME ALSO? MY BIG CONCERE IS THAT MY 55 HAS ELECTRIC SEATS AND DONT WANT TO MESS-UP THAT AS THEY WORK FINE.

BILL

Back