12v Switched Wire

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 - 351c 2v - FMX transmission
I will quickly stipulate that I am an electrical novice. I have a 1971 Mach 1 a 351C.
I want to install a Pertronix 1281 Ignitor and eliminate my points.
After watching Mr Hale’s video, I know I need a 12v switched wire. I have put a picture of what I have. In the picture, the middle connector only has one wire and it runs to the coil but doesn’t test at 12v. I assume that one is running through a resistor wire.
The round connector, on the left, that has nothing connected to it is 12v switched.
Does anybody know what this would have originally powered? And do you think I can tap into that wire for the Pertronix?
Thank you for your help

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
The Red w/yellow hash marks wire, which powered the throttle position solenoid, is hot in run and start. Use that to power the Pertronix module *only*. Leave the original coil (+) wire (red w/lt green stripe) in place to power the coil itself.

1687111496966.png

Thank you! I was also going to change the coil to a Pertronix Flame Thrower. If I do that, should I still only use the 12v wire to the Pertronix module and leave the current wire going to the coil?

Thank you! I was also going to change the coil to a Pertronix Flame Thrower. If I do that, should I still only use the 12v wire to the Pertronix module and leave the current wire going to the coil?
The direction for the Pertronix 1281 system (I am not speaking of the Pertronix II or Pertronix III, as I have never worked on those) and Flamethower ignition coil have what appears to be conflicting into. One says to use 12 volts for the ignition module power, and the resistor wire to the ignition coil's positive + ignition coil primary terminal. The other says if you are using the Pertronix Flame thrower 1.5 ohm ignition coil you are to use 12 volts for it, not the resistor wire's lower voltage.

I tried to clear up the confusion with my video, and along with my annotated directions for installing the Pertronix I ignition system (their part #: 1281) and a Flamethrower ignition coil. As for the switched 12 volt source power, I agree with Hemi-Killer, it is best and easiest to use the Circuit 640 ( Red with Yellow Hash marks) that feeds the carburetor/s Throttle Position Solenoid. I show that in detail in the video you watched, at 32:02 mm:ss into the video. In the description of that video I provide a link where you can download the annotated/enhanced Pertronix instructions I put together to try to simplify their directions. If you need that YouTube video's link again it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qGVhoFnJ50

Please let me/us know if you need more help with the task you are engaged in.

Thank you, Sir! I’m going to watch it again
Take Hemikiller's advice. I just got my tach to work. Rewired the Pertronix 1281 by stealing power from the dashpot. Then put the original red-lt green stripe wire back on the coil. Viola. Tach works & engine runs. Another good day.

Thank you, Sir! I’m going to watch it again
While I don’t have a tach, I did pick up power for my Pertronix right at the throttle position solenoid. If your rubber boot is still playable, you can peel it back and solder directly to the unit, ultimately having less wire to hide. I left myself a loop so I can dress it up after proving the hook up was good (another thing not completed 😳) so my original resistor wire is just lying next to the coil. Good luck with it👍IMG_0078.jpegIMG_0079.jpeg

Back