New Guy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
A few months ago I bought the Mustang I wanted so bad in high school. Its a 1973 Coupe my wife found on Craigslist. It's a great 50 footer. Looks good from far away, but close up, well, it needs some TLC. Rust holes in the roof under the old vinyl top, and rusted out floor pans in back. Rusted right rear quarter, and a few other smaller rust spots under the paint. I'm finishing up the frame off resto-mod of El Guapo, my 86 F150, so I have my next project. I've been replacing floor pans and cleaning up rust on the roof, getting ready to cut and weld in some new steel to get it a little more weathertight. Lots of work to do on this thing, but I enjoy it, and so its worth it.

Ron

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Sounds like a couple of worthy projects.

What part of TN? I'm from Bristol originally.

Welcome from Rhode Island.

we all would like to see some Pictures.
Well, you asked for some pictures. As I said, it's a 50 footer. So from 50 feet.

And with the carpet out, it becomes apparent that it needs a little work.

So, I've been working on replacing floor pans, and then repair the rear seat pan extensions. Then the roof, and the quarter panels. Whew!!! It's a bunch of work, but I'm not in a hurry. Plus I get a lot of satisfaction saving these old cars from the crusher.

Ron

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Sounds like a couple of worthy projects.

What part of TN? I'm from Bristol originally.
Living in Collierville, TN, just outside of Memphis. I really like Eastern Tennessee, and would love to move to the Tri-Cities area. Maybe someday.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! yep, that's a fifty footer. But still a great looking car!

When folks complement me on the mustang I often tell them it's a lot like me... the darker it is and the farther away you are, the better it looks. ;)

Your rust condition matched one of mine's rust condition. It's definitely repairable.

We have some other members in the Memphis area.

Looks like it was originally blue glow from the floor color.
It was. And it will be again, when I get done with it. My daughter saw the picture and dubbed it the bannanamobile. That cannot stand.

I want to restore it back to what it was like when new. Better soundproofing, a little more power, but very stock. The engine and trans have been swapped out. The 351C-2V was replaced with a 302, and the FMX has been replaced with an AOD. I think I'll keep the AOD, but would really like to find a rebuildable 351C to get it back to original.

Hey welcome from Belgium. Mine is more like a 35 footer. After 2 years i found some poor repairwork but beautifully hidden. Now i give it the attention it needs and make repairs that last. I am dissapoited though the previous owner wasn't honest about it and didn't show me the points that needed attention, maybe it could have saved a lot of work and worries. Have fun working on your mustang! Like some smart person said once, the journey is as important as the destination. ( or something like that)

::welcome:: from Maine . I"d say by all the fords in your driveway , you"ll fit in just fine here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back