Q's TECH TIP OF THE WEEK

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Ok so I'm in the process of doing the engine bay inner structure of the green 72 as most have seen in my other thread http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-doing-up-the-engine-bay

Since this car was so clean & alot of stuff was never touched removed concerning the body I've been documenting taking photos of seam sealer application etc. Although I'm not doing a concours type redo I thought I would use this as a test bed to replicate some of the factory seam sealer textures..as you can see in the pictures there is still most of the factory seam sealer in a lot of locations that is still in very good shape..So it seems that most was applied using a combination of spraying on then brushing..so how do you replicate it ? Heres a great video on how to replicate the sprayed on texture look

You then come in with a semi coarse type brush (parts cleaning brush) of the proper width dipped in denatured alcohol to replicate the brush marks. You should do some test panels first to get the feel ,On areas with no brush marks the above technique in the video will give you almost a perfect match..It's just a matter of dialing in the correct air pressure & distance from the sealer to get the desired match. Now I'm going overboard on this car INSIDE the engine bay..I'm sealing every joint where there is a overlap of metal..I'm doing that more inline with a modern technique of applying a small continuous bead WITH NO BRUSH MARKS. Thats done by masking off both sides of the joint for about a 1/4" bead (1/8" on both sides of the joint) & then applying the product..Now for product I'm using 2 different types..everything for the inside where the motor sits is being done with a 2 component sealer OVER a epoxy primer base..for the inner structure (suspension side) where I want to match the sprayed on texture look using the technique in the video I'm using a single stage sealer made by transtar.

Heres some pics of whats left of the factory texture I will be replicating using the transtar sealer & the technique shown in the video

101_0453.JPG101_0454.JPG101_0455.JPG

Back