Tire/Rims on Heritage Stang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugbyguytx

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code Stang.
As of last month, my father-in-law passed down his single owner 71 q-code mach 1 in just amazing condition. I am working on addressing some of the basics like new tires, brakes, etc and have come up with a question I have found a dozen other sites have answers for but want a group answer from a specific source like 7173. The tires need replacing and the wife wants to update the dog-dish rims (14s) to Magnum 500's 15s.

My question is regarding brand size and vendor.

I am thinking 15x8's and would like a nice full tire on there. What is a good size for this green beauty? I would like to also add larger tired on the back for the muscle look.

Has anyone walked this path before? And where is a good spot around Texas or close by to get the rims and tires (Online is cool too).

DSC_1201.JPG

Nice car to have, there were only 66 - 71 Q code autos and 42 4 speed fastbacks made

15 X 8 will fit

Not sure who to use in TX but we have a lot of members there so help will be coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice car to have, as there were only 66 - 71 Q code autos and 42 4 speed fastbacks made
Wow.. It is a 4 speed. Hurst. Still reading the shop manuals but the car came with everything including the 71 brochure, color code chart, sales guys business card and the 5 shop manuals (blue).

Any thoughts on tires for it?

Any thoughts on tires for it?

Yes anything besides white walls :p

You can search on the site - there is some good sizing info on here

Don

I would recommend 15x7 with P235/60/15 on the front and 15x8 with either P245/60/15 or P255/60/15 on the rear. BF Goodrich make tires in those sizes and that will give you the muscle car look you want. The reason I recommend 15x7 on the front, is to prevent tire rub when turning. :) By the way.... Nice Car!!!!

I would recommend 15x7 with P235/60/15 on the front and 15x8 with either P245/60/15 or P255/60/15 on the rear. BF Goodrich make tires in those sizes and that will give you the muscle car look you want. The reason I recommend 15x7 on the front, is to prevent tire rub when turning. :) By the way.... Nice Car!!!!
That's what I went with 15X7 235/60/15 front 15X8 255/60/15 rear, although there's still plenty of space for wider tires on the rear. I wanted a slightly aggressive appearance without getting to far away from the stock look.

Jim

I like the original tire and wheel setup. That car is super rare as Don mentioned.

So for showing in a 'original' class - keep it original but for cruising and just enjoying the car - do it like ya want.

Very cool car - be sure document with lots of pics!

Sorry about your loss but cool that their proud possession was passed to you.

Ray

I put 15x7 Magnums with 245/60/15 on all four corners drives great. I had 225/70 and 245/60 on my first Mach 1 the tires are nearly the same height and give that skinny wide look.

2qbbz1w.jpg

I still have the Original steel wheels with the pizza cutters and trim rings like your car. Hold onto the originals and drive it with Magnums. Beautiful car by the way same color as Dad's Boss that you can barely see on the right.

I have BF Goodrich 15X7 235/60/15 all the way around.

BFG's are great tires, they give a great ride, and great look too.

Nice car, and Don and Ray said, its a rare car, so if you swap out parts, keep the old ones to go back if you ever want, or for the next owner to if they like to.

See I knew I found the right site. I really appreciate all the information. The f.i.l and I will chat and I will go with the 15x7s on the front and 15x8 on the back.

Definitely keeping all original parts or the f.i.l would disown :)

I have some more work to do but started with the tires a new tank and float and rebuilt the carb. Next up are the brakes.

What's a good site online to find the magnum 500's ?

Oms...I just realized I put a typo... It is a 72 q code 4speed. Does that affect the rarity?

See I knew I found the right site. I really appreciate all the information. The f.i.l and I will chat and I will go with the 15x7s on the front and 15x8 on the back.

I have some more work to do but started with the tires a new tank and float and rebuilt the carb. Next up are the brakes.

Oms...I just realized I put a typo... It is a 72 q code 4speed. Does that affect the rarity?
1972 Q code 4 speed is a desirable Mustang but not nearly as rare as a 1971 Q code Mustang.

2,596 1972 Fastbacks (Mach 1's and Sportsroofs combined) produced with the 351 Q code and 4 speed.

Ray

Cool car and the first 71 Q to show up on the site. Was it produced in May, June or July?

I would like to add some of your original documentation to our wiki section. I'll send you a PM.

I put 235/60R15s on my original stock wheels that have dogdish and rings. I really like that look with RWL tres.

1972 Q code 4 speed is a desirable Mustang but not nearly as rare as a 1971 Q code Mustang.

2,596 1972 Fastbacks (Mach 1's and Sportsroofs combined) produced with the 351 Q code and 4 speed.

Ray

Cool car and the first 71 Q to show up on the site. Was it produced in May, June or July?

I would like to add some of your original documentation to our wiki section. I'll send you a PM.

I put 235/60R15s on my original stock wheels that have dogdish and rings. I really like that look with RWL tres.
Don,

It is 1972 Q code 4 speed (see my last post in the thread - just before yours). He said he made a typo and it was a 72 not a 71.

:D

Ray

+1 You can't go wrong with this set up. I would go with 255s out back.

Gotcha.

Any recommendations on where to pick up a good deal on the magnum 500's?

I have been looking at tirerack and the heat cycling service they offer but dont see the rims I want.

I have not had a chance to say welcome, but I will and follow that with a compliment on the condition of the car that was passed on to you. Looks like it could have meant alot to your father-in-law to keep it in such good condition. Can't go wrong with adding the Magnum's, but keep anything original you replace on the car. Don't just pitch it in the trash even if it needs to be rebuilt. Never know when you may get bitten by the bug to return everything back to original.

Back