Brake ? Which shoe is primary vs secondary?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

Getting ready to install rear brakes and my new shoes are riveted where as my old one's were bonded. Need to know which one's in pic are PRIMARY vs SECONDARY so I get the installation correct.

Thanks Much

Jeff

n1vzwz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From the picture you have up the outer shoes are the primary. If you compare them with the ones in the middle they have less braking material on them and go in the forward position.

"The primary shoe toward the front and the secondary to the rear. The secondary shoe is LONGER than the primary one. And the secondary shoe is actuated by the parking brake."

From Ford Truck forum....

remember, "the big guy stands behind the little guy". all drum brakes are this way.

Glad I found this thread. I have to redo the one I put together anyway because I used the passenger side dust shield on the drivers side. Now I can correct this too!

Is there any difference between the primary and secondary spring? The kit I have has a blue an yellow spring. I am assuming the blue spring is primary, mainly because the bottom spring is also blue, and is a single spring so it has to be primary. :) I have to redo this brake install anyway now because I used the wrong dust shield and I have the shoes backwards, so I'd like to get it right the second time I do it.

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_16.JPG

That does help, although I was confused for a second because that's the rear. Aside from the parking brake parts they are the same. Thanks!

Back