BIG MONEY ON THE '71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Last edited by a moderator:
Engine compartment looks to be redone. Boss 351 name on left side fender looks to be slanted / not put on correctly.

The car looks very nice. To command that much money, a person would have to check and verify all the correct parts including markings - basically a serious concourse inspection.

BTW - he mentioned the rear end numerical spec - "4.11". Of course it is/should be a 3.91 ratio. If spinning tire and counting revolutions of the drive shaft, those ratios are both hard to differentiate.

Ray

The drivers fender and door miss alignment at the top was a problem on some early cars. That's how mine fits. It's one of those things I always check for when looking at these cars. It's one reason I'm swapping out my drivers fender.

The car looks very nice but the "Boss" decals are crooked on both fenders. That irks me a lot because it shows a certain amount if sloppiness. And if they did not care about something that is so easy to see and get right, it makes wonder what else on the car they did with that "nah, whatever. That's good enough" attitude.

The car looks very nice but the "Boss" decals are crooked on both fenders. That irks me a lot because it shows a certain amount if sloppiness. And if they did not care about something that is so easy to see and get right, it makes wonder what else on the car they did with that "nah, whatever. That's good enough" attitude.
+1 I would always have that on my mind

Why is everyone of the misconception that these cars were built with perfect gaps and strait lines at the factory?
+1. The panel gaps on any given, all-original example will be lousy. Fact of life.

Look at any other Ford from the 1970's or 1980's - same thing.

Granted, consistently gigantic gaps are suspect, but variances in a gap which is otherwise acceptable is normal.

Someone ought to author a thread here - "Acceptable and unacceptable factory panel gaps on 1971-73 Mustangs," complete with multiple photo examples. I'm game for it, but do not have access to both an acceptable and unacceptable (preferably sagging) convertible for detail photos. What's more, we should also have examples of what the repop fenders look like when installed without adjustment.

-Kurt

Why is everyone of the misconception that these cars were built with perfect gaps and strait lines at the factory?
+1 If everyone wants to worry about perfect gaps , it's your right, but these cars very seldom were made perfect .

As with any car of this vintage, I'd want to see the VIN... make sure it's not a Boss 351 clone. It's also missing hood locks, although I'm not entirely sure that's a problem. The Boss 351 decal mis-placement is truly a shame, and lights my 'lack of attention to detail' indicator as well.

I'm in agreement - for that kind of money, I'd expect a "high-90-point" show car.

Beautiful car, though... based on the pictures.

I'm in agreement - for that kind of money, I'd expect a "high-90-point" show car.
And a 429.

Still, decals, speakers, and A/C vents aside, one of the nicest examples to show up of recent.

Then again, I'm notably biased ;)

71_mustang_29.jpg

-Kurt

And a 429.

>

-Kurt
Are the 429s really on-par with the Boss 351s? I remember an article in Mustang Monthly a few years back where they compared a Boss 351 and a 429 Mach 1... and both were Light Pewter (the pictures from that article spend time as my desktop wallpaper, I must admit). The Boss 351 [on paper] was just a tad quicker (because of lighter weight and different gear ratio or something), but the Mach 1 had slightly more power and more/nicer options. As far as rarity goes, I think the Boss 351 had slightly fewer numbers.

Personally, I think I would prefer the Mach 1 as well, mostly because of the interior appointments, but I think the Boss 351 would fetch more money because everybody seems to believe they are worth more because of popularity and rarity.

Are the 429s really on-par with the Boss 351s?
On par and past the Boss 351...but primarily in price.

Hence, "for that kind of money," it better be a 429, not a Boss.

Granted, the Boss simply looks fantastic thanks to the argent taillight panel with no trim at all...

-Kurt

This dealership has advertised many 71-73 mustangs over the years. Its a dealership and thus a dealership price. You could easily start at 50% of their asking price. I did notice several things in question likes others have mentioned, hood locks, tilted decals, no rev limiter. I agree with the comments regarding factory panel gaps and restored car gaps. If you are going to restore a car get the gaps right. That shows the quality that should translate into other aspects of the restoration. I have always wanted a Boss 351. I expect that prices will start climbing very soon. You are starting to see the 70's cars come into their day on the auction circuit.

Back