What is this part called?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adm22

Reaction score
Wyoming a small town in the People's Republic of I
My Car
1972 convertible with almost half a million miles 351c- T5 transmission for 24 MPG on the Hwy! Still has a few original parts on it- not many!

also have a 1975 Bricklin with less than 20k miles.
had to take the voltage regulator off the car today in the snow. Not fun. Noticed that the wire that is atatched to the condensor that was also bolted to the car body with the VR had broken off from the condensor.

I believe that this is used to supress engine whine on the radio (one of many reasons perhaps that my radio has not worked real well lately). This was confirmed in a discussion with the guy from Auto Zone, he said he did not know what the proper name of the part is so had no idea if they had one, but he did not think they did. I also scanned through the CJ Pny parts catalogue and colud not find it in any place that I thought ti might be.

Does anyone know what this is called and if one can get a replacement for the broken one?

Send midlife a PM...he has them. Yes they are used for noise suppression. They are not reproduced and I was able to buy one from midlife recently...he is a member on the boards.

Jeff

had to take the voltage regulator off the car today in the snow. Not fun. Noticed that the wire that is atatched to the condensor that was also bolted to the car body with the VR had broken off from the condensor.

I believe that this is used to supress engine whine on the radio (one of many reasons perhaps that my radio has not worked real well lately). This was confirmed in a discussion with the guy from Auto Zone, he said he did not know what the proper name of the part is so had no idea if they had one, but he did not think they did. I also scanned through the CJ Pny parts catalogue and colud not find it in any place that I thought ti might be.

Does anyone know what this is called and if one can get a replacement for the broken one?

They are called radio suppression capacitors. Yes, I have several in stock. PM me if interested.

PMs have not been working for me for some reason. I can read them but not respond or write one. I have a bunch of extra parts i am trying to sell and could not respond back to people who queried me- so if you could OPM with an email I can get back to you that way.

PMs have not been working for me for some reason. I can read them but not respond or write one. I have a bunch of extra parts i am trying to sell and could not respond back to people who queried me- so if you could OPM with an email I can get back to you that way.
You might want to post up on the "Site Problem" forum so that one of the Administrators can work with you on your PM problem.

BT

Can you post a picture of how that was connected please? My car does not have that and my radio whines so bad you can't listen to it with engine running. My car was restored 12 years ago. I wonder if they could not find this part back then.

These noise suppresors were typically used to mask the electrical whine from the ignition system from being heard through the speakers. These were used before "resistor" spark plugs became widely available.

As far as I know, practically all spark plugs available today are resistor plugs, making these noise suppresors unneccesary.

If your stereo is making ignition noise with resistor plugs installed, then I dont think one of these suppresors will solve your problem.

If you have a hi-power amp for your sound system, be sure your speaker wires are not run close to the amp or power cords to the amp. And don't run speaker wires close to each other in a run...it tends to produce "crosstalk" frequencies.

That price is great for those suppresors and would be a nice original-looking detail underhood.

Last edited:
Back