What is this part called and where can I buy a new one?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72conv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible
I need to replace this "seal" that closes off the gap between the radiator and core support. Arrow is pointing toward the part in question. Hard to look for one on-line when I don't know what it's actually called. What is the correct name? What is it made of? Plastic? Rubber? Not sure. Mine is brittle and cracking.

raditor area.jpg

I bought a new one from NPD, it comes made of a more rigid material, so it may take some time to relax and fit better than when you initially install it. More "plastic-y" than rubbery. Funny, I was just looking thru some misc parts last night and found those very clips that hold it on. I will install my air deflector when the new engine goes in, so I'm glad I found those clips. It's not like me to just put a handfull of random clips in with other stuff without bagging and tagging.

Good to see you will probably install it the correct way. I have seen so many installed the wrong way covering the radiator instead. Mostly on 70-71 Torinos but some Mustangs also.

I bought a new one from NPD, it comes made of a more rigid material, so it may take some time to relax and fit better than when you initially install it. More "plastic-y" than rubbery. Funny, I was just looking thru some misc parts last night and found those very clips that hold it on. I will install my air deflector when the new engine goes in, so I'm glad I found those clips. It's not like me to just put a handfull of random clips in with other stuff without bagging and tagging.
I trimmed about a 1/2"strip off mine so it fit up against the core support.

Would you mind snapping a picture of those clips? I probably will need to see what I can to find them since they don't come with the deflector. Thanks

Would you mind snapping a picture of those clips? I probably will need to see what I can to find them since they don't come with the deflector. Thanks
If you are buying the deflector from NPD they sell the correct clips also and are a couple bucksIMG_0932.jpeg

Hello, the seal is there to ensure that the fan draws air through the front air conditioning radiator. Otherwise it would short circuit air down through the gap.
If you don't have an air conditioner you won't have one.
I don't like the sharp edges of the top of the radiator, so I have made a foam rubber seal that is compressed into the seal area and then covers the void and sharp edges of the radiator. I used glued together lengths of the foam plastic connectible floor padding, like a gym mat with cuts to fit over the radiator fins.
I have removed the fan and the shroud and now have electric fans fitted. A pair of 12" dia. and 14" dia. fans aligned diagonally will fit . . . . just. Removing the crank driven fan should make the engine smoother and more powerful and the cooling system more efficient.

Under the core support is also the way I've seen them.
Must vary from owner to owner. My '72 was a one-owner, unmolested, unrestored car when I bought it in 1988. The seal was on top of the core support. I don't think I've ever seen one under the core support. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative. :)

Must vary from owner to owner. My '72 was a one-owner, unmolested, unrestored car when I bought it in 1988. The seal was on top of the core support. I don't think I've ever seen one under the core support. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative. :)
You may be right! I did a quick search through the 1971 Ford manual and didn't even see this part mentioned. The 429 Mustang and Cougar site shows 3 pictures, specific to this part....1 of those pics actually looks like the leading edge is not tucked under the core support! The Air Dam seal is at the bottom of the page. http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/cooling_system.htm

Without anything official, I can't say definitively which way Ford intended, but I'm going to go with under. Tucking it under will have the tendency to capture it in place, where tucking on top, would tend to push it up and off of the radiator frame.

Also, not trying to be argumentative (y)

70cobrascj has it attached correctly. It's like that on my "71 as well. There may be those out there ,who will re-engineer the baffle, over, under, mounted to the core support, pop-riveted on.......nooooo. Over thinking this is silly, The photo is how it goes. I challenge those out there who install this differently on purpose, to post the science, the real temperature numbers, to support any cooling improvement over the Factory's placement , Snap it on and be done. To be honest, I wouldn't hesitate to run without it, a lot of you out there are, though I figure Ford likely wouldn't have spent a penny on it if they didn't think it should be there. I've even seen those who will fabricate a sheet metal piece that completely encloses the opening across the space from the grille to the radiator support. I get it, I see what you're thinking, the truth is,...... enclosing the grille to radiator area is un-necessary, the Factory would have addressed that problem if it really affected cooling, it's just a custom touch, should you be competing for points in that category.

Last edited:
Never mind. Right after I posted this thread, I found another thread here on the site that pointed me to the part. It's called a Radiator Air Deflector Seal. NPD has it.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-radiator-air-deflector/142031?backurl=search/products?search_terms=8349-1A&top_parent=200001&year=
I bought the same one for my Mach 1. Unfortunately it didn't fit at all and I had to return it. I was at the end of my web research on that part. I ended up using foam rubber insulation that has one side adhesive tape and sealed it off with that. Not exactly factory but it works great. I also used that material to seal off the back side of the radiator to the frame to make a better seal there too.

I had to trim the one I got from NPD to fit . I'm thinking that the plastic baffle is made wide to fit possibly cars with skinny radiators. I don't remember if I replaced the radiator that came with the car, or not, but on my car, the flap only needs to be half as wide to bridge the gap. This summer when I replace the engine, I will put a new condenser in and get the A/C going again. at that point I'll take a more cursive look at cooling. Currently, I have no issues.

Both our 73 Mach 1s did not come to us with the seal, and the AC works fine.

I bought a reproduction Radiator Air Deflector Seal kit from Auto Krafters via eBay. They offered free shipping, so compared to NPD, I saved about $8.00 on the exact same parts. Auto Krafters sells it as a Torino/Montego part, but Mustang, Cougar, and other FoMoCo products use the same one. It fit perfectly and required no trimming. Literally a five minute job. Four new clips were included with the kit, although they are different from the original clips that were on the car; I used them anyway. Sorry about the messy engine compartment. The car is basically still in winter storage and has not had its spring cleaning and detailing yet.

New Radiator Air Flow Seal 2024-04-11.jpg

Back