Any red '71/72 Sportsroofs gone missing recently?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
EDIT: Turns out to be real. See post #3.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4313195823.html

VIN is a 2F05H, which adds up to the engine, but not the rest. Unless someone replaced the entire front end, this baby was born an 2F02H.

Buck tag missing in the photos.

Anything obvious from the photos that I'm missing? ID suggestions, besides the usual dash and door jamb check?

-Kurt

Never mind, figured it out. This is the same place that had the '72 that I tore apart a few weeks back:

72_mustang_donor_3.jpg

That car had a 2F02H VIN on it. However, I took a honeycomb rear panel off of the sheet metal, and it had a busted Sportlamp grill on it that should have indicated otherwise. More importantly, the urethane bumper (which was not on the car) may have been from it, despite the evidence of a front-ender that took out the front valance.

I didn't think much of Sportsroof VIN at the time - wasn't worth trying to figure out if someone had tried to make it look like a Mach 1 somewhere in its sorry life. The honeycomb panel should have told me otherwise immediately.

Nevertheless, now that I look at it critically (and have this other car to consider), I realize it is (was, at this point?) a Mach 1 to begin with: The 2F05H dash from this car must have been swapped with the red car's 2F02H dash.

What gets me is that they had title for the 2F02H VIN, and were willing to fork it over along with the car for the $500 I paid for the parts. Sounds like someone trying to (illegally) inflate the value of their Sportsroof with the title off the Mach.

Hell, I should have purchased that Sportsroof title then claimed theft of the red car - serve 'em right for VIN faking! :rofl:

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the VIN issue, looks like they may be smuggling illegal aliens in the drivers compartment one at a time!

Just saw the car. Believe it or not, it IS a genuine H-code Mach 1 with enough stuff swapped to fool someone. Probably had a front ender at one time. The door data tag matched. Pennsylvania inspection sticker on the window.

Believe it or not - this car made the one I stripped look good:

• Right rear frame rail completely split in two!
  • Both doors rotted beyond being fixable. Door jambs also full of holes.
  • Floorpans have two patches directly over the rusted pans.
  • Hood rotted out at the nose; one has to pick the hood up from the sides
  • Both quarters re-skinned, and slathered with a full 1/2" of Bondo on the RH door jamb
  • Front fenders Bondoed to the rocker panels!
  • Trunk rotted through at the back; ditto with the taillight panel and quarter ends
  • Roof has a 1" hole at the A-pillar
  • Rear wheelwells gone

Honestly - as bad as the first car was, this one is irrefutably worse.

On the good side:

• Two perfect black front seats
  • New taillight panel
  • 14x7" steelies with only one dog dish missing, all trim rings there (I WANT THEM!)
  • Running 351C 2V
  • Deluxe center dash
  • Standard door panels; decent
  • In short, a generally decent interior
  • Good glass
  • Good trim

Again, another $500 parts car special.

Sad thing is, one of the fellows at the lot said that the mechanic who owns it paid through the nose to get it, shortly after I stripped the other one. We both believe that this very dim-witted fellow (quite the drunk, it seems) probably thought he could sell the hulk to me for a profit.

Needs money or something; probably thought he could flip this thing when he bought it (probably in a drunken stupor).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back