End of an era for Mustang Monthly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
Donald Farr was let go my the Corporate owners of Mustang Monthly. Jim Smart was let go about three years ago but was a freelance writer. I met both of them on many occasions and they knew their stuff. They should bounce back and can probably do things they wanted to for years anyway. Donald wrote a great book for the 50th - check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Fifty-Years-Celebrating-Americas/dp/0760343969

Last edited by a moderator:
Donald Farr and Jim Smart were let go my the Corporate owners of Mustang Monthly. I met both of them on many occasions and they knew their stuff. They should bounce back and can probably do things they wanted to for years anyway. Donald wrote a great book for the 50th - check it out.

I agree. I've met both on more than one occasion; they are very knowledgeable and easy to talk with. It is a sad day for the Mustang hobby.

I have never met Jim Smart but have grown to know of him through his articles I have read. Donald Farr is one I have met and had the opportunity to visit with on more than one occasion. I found him to be cool/approachable, knowledgeable and a true enthusiast.

I see this in two distinct ways. First - it places a very negative light on Mustang Monthly for be so callus that they actually shun those who help them build what they have become. Extremely selfish and narrow minded to think the magazine will be better without these two industry icons.

But secondly with change comes new opportunities. I don't think either of these guys will have any problems finding a job - that is if they even want one. I wish them both well in their new respective paths.

Ray

I'm sad to hear about Farr, used to look forward to MM back in the 80's with my first car a 65 coupe. I almost renewed my subscription at x-mas, good thing I didn't. Also Farr whote a great book on the 70 Boss 302 stangs.

Well... crap! I actually enjoy their stuff. Hopefully, this doesn't turn MM into a complete suck-fest.

Donald Farr was let go my the Corporate owners of Mustang Monthly. Jim Smart was let go about three years ago but was a freelance writer. I met both of them on many occasions and they knew their stuff. They should bounce back and can probably do things they wanted to for years anyway. Donald wrote a great book for the 50th - check it out.

I met Donald Farr at the Mustang Monthly offices when they where in Lakeland Fla.back in 1982 or 1983. I talked to him many times at MCA national shows.

I met Jim Smart in Springfield IL. in 2007 He had heard about my 73 mustang and wanted to take pictures of it for Mustang Monthly. It was featured in the November 2008 issue. If you google 73 Mustang convertible Larry Kennedy the story he wrote on our car will pop up.

He was taking pictures of quite a few mustangs most of which were newer. He was happy to know that I at least knew who he was none of the other guys had a clue.. He photographed my car last which was nice I spent quite a while talking to him about different things and about when he did a whole thing on In Search of Mustangs...( i think that was in the 90's) He was researching vin numbers on 64-73 Mustangs..Hated to see him go he was a big part of the Mustangs.

I enjoyed Mustang Monthly more when it was about the 65-73 Mustangs, I have been getting the mag. for over 30 yrs. and it's not the same with all the new stuff in it...

Well... crap! I actually enjoy their stuff. Hopefully, this doesn't turn MM into a complete suck-fest.
"they actually shun those who help them build what they have become." quote Boss 1 (hope not to offend)

Most of you unfortunately have delt with my disdain for those whom shun our classics through these MUSTANG CAR SHOWS....that are built largely by the likes of Mustang Monthly and many others. It seems the cool thing is to honor the NEW Mustangs that you see over and over at EVERY Mustang car show that can you can see at ANY car dealer in ANY town.

"Extremely selfish and narrow minded to think the magazine" quote Boss 1.... would shun us at these proposed national meets so it is no surprise to me that either writer is dismissed because they are not falling into line with the MANAGEMENT.

Don will be missed from M.M. Looking forward to see where he will show up! Great source of knowledge! GO DON!!!!

Back