Air Cleaner flexible hose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Grande, Deluxe, Cobra Jet, C6, 3.25:1 conventional, Light Pewter Metallic, Right Hand Drive conversion.
Gday

I need to replace the flexible air cleaner snorkel hose on my 72 cobra jet.

Does anyone know where to source one.

Thanks

If you mean the heat riser tube [ off the bottom of the snorkle - I have them

Don

If you mean the heat riser tube [ off the bottom of the snorkle - I have them

Don
Thanks Don

That is not the part I am chasing

I am after the flexible concertina part that joins the air cleaner snorkel to the plastic snorkel that draws air from under the car.

I will try and attach a photo

Thanks

image.jpg

The flex duct was 1973 only

The parts you show a picture of are not correct 1973 parts

A 1972  would not have that hose

I stand corrected, 72 HO and CJ cars with CA emissions had a flex hose

Last edited by a moderator:
The flex duct was 1973 only

The parts you show a picture of are not correct 1973 parts

A 1972 would not have that hose
Don

Once again thank you for your reply.

This is the setup that I have so it may have been changed at some time. The car has been in New Zealand and Australia since leaving the USA in 1972.

Are you able to tell me if the flex duct is still available.

Thanks

Prior to finding an NOS one for a 73, I used to by an aftermarket one from Advance Auto. They came with the plastic clamp like the Fomoco unit. Only problem was the hose was plastic. A slightly higher gloss than the fabric ones. The clamp was on both ends. Removed one and attached with simulated staples made from stainless welding wire.

I just searched the part number of the plastic adapter D2ZF-9B676-AA and found one on eBay. It said 72 Mustang. it was in poor shape but leads me to believe it's original. It appears to be part of a snorkle assemble who's part number is D2ZF-9B672-BA. Try looking for that number in NOS. Stilwell or Bill Herndon may be able to help.

Prior to finding an NOS one for a 73, I used to by an aftermarket one from Advance Auto. They came with the plastic clamp like the Fomoco unit. Only problem was the hose was plastic. A slightly higher gloss than the fabric ones. The clamp was on both ends. Removed one and attached with simulated staples made from stainless welding wire.

I just searched the part number of the plastic adapter D2ZF-9B676-AA and found one on eBay. It said 72 Mustang. it was in poor shape but leads me to believe it's original. It appears to be part of a snorkle assemble who's part number is D2ZF-9B672-BA. Try looking for that number in NOS. Stilwell or Bill Herndon may be able to help.
Thanks for the suggestion.

The plastic adapter (D2ZF=9C672-AA) is stapled to the metal air cleaner snorkel (D2ZF-9C672-AA) however as you have suggested the fabric has deteriorated over time.

I am new to this forum as my other Mustang is a 65 fastback so I have not until recently started searching for parts for the 72.

I will endeavour to contact your leads.

thanks

Ward

This might be a late response, but I have devoted some time trying to find a replacement fresh air intake hose for my 1973 302. The part is not being reproduced and it is stapled to the air filter snorkel. After lots of research, I have ordered a part that should fit. The measurements are almost identical to the original one (3.5 x 2.5 in). It is from Crown Automotive, part # J3231980 and is a direct replacement for some Jeep vehicles. I will try it out once it arrives and will post an updated picture.

zjb48i.jpg

24o4k6o.png

This might be a late response, but I have devoted some time trying to find a replacement fresh air intake hose for my 1973 302. The part is not being reproduced and it is stapled to the air filter snorkel. After lots of research, I have ordered a part that should fit. The measurements are almost identical to the original one (3.5 x 2.5 in). It is from Crown Automotive, part # J3231980 and is a direct replacement for some Jeep vehicles. I will try it out once it arrives and will post an updated picture.

zjb48i.jpg

2r2vha9.jpg

24o4k6o.png
Great find I have three 73's so I am very interested.

David

It worked out like a charm. With a little of wiggling around the edges the hose fit perfectly and looks almost stock. If you are looking to replace the air cleaner hose, this is your option.

EGR valves and ever tightening emission controls were on the way. In 1972 it started with the cars with NOX emissions (what the parts book called California cars). Those are the cars you see with the flex hose on the end of the air cleaner duct much like you see on the 73 cars. They were part of the metal air cleaner duct and valve and not available separately. As you can imagine they were not sold in great numbers once the public found what had to be purchased just to get the flex hose. The 9A624 assembly which is the hard plastic duct that brings fresh air from the front of the car to the flex hose is the same for the 302 and 351 C's. Most of the parts houses carry flex hoses that can be adapted to the air cleaner. The hose gmadrid has shown in his posting looks like a perfect candidate.

Edit....After reading David's post about the flex hose on Econoline vans, I decided to dig a little harder in the books. Ford's move to fasten the flex to the hard plastic duct (9C675) still wasn't a well received option or cost effective for Ford owners. We had a huge amount of commercial truck business in our shop and heard plenty about the cost associated with replacing the flex hose assembly. Ford finally released three different "Service" hoses.

D3OZ-9A624-B 2 5/16X3 11/16 X11

D5UZ-9A624-B 2 5/16X3 11/16X18 1/4

D7UZ-9A624-A 2 5/16X3 11/16X25 3/4

The last two numbers are van part numbers (extra length). I believe we just stocked the last one and told everyone to "Cut to fit". And you can see that the dimensions are close enough that the 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 hose gmadrid found is perfect.

This might be a late response, but I have devoted some time trying to find a replacement fresh air intake hose for my 1973 302.  The part is not being reproduced and it is stapled to the air filter snorkel.  After lots of research, I have ordered a part that should fit. The measurements are almost identical to the original one (3.5 x 2.5 in).   It is from Crown Automotive, part # J3231980 and is a direct replacement for some Jeep vehicles.  I will try it out once it arrives and will post an updated picture.

zjb48i.jpg

24o4k6o.png
Did it fit?

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply, the last time he was on the forum was in 2016. He already said how it worked in post #12.

And, please go to the Introduction section of the forum and introduce your car and yourself. We like pictures.

This might be a late response, but I have devoted some time trying to find a replacement fresh air intake hose for my 1973 302.  The part is not being reproduced and it is stapled to the air filter snorkel.  After lots of research, I have ordered a part that should fit. The measurements are almost identical to the original one (3.5 x 2.5 in).   It is from Crown Automotive, part # J3231980 and is a direct replacement for some Jeep vehicles.  I will try it out once it arrives and will post an updated picture.

zjb48i.jpg

24o4k6o.png
There is a popular Bronco site that carries the hose. If you Google it you can find it.

Back