Remove paint from dashboard

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi guys,

has anyone removed the paint on the dashbord? I mean the so called dashcrown, the big metal piece...

Somebody has overlacquered the original ginger paint and I would repaint it again to match my new dash pad and to do it better.

I am afraid of destroying the dashcrowns surface structure by sanding it or by going with lacquer remover...

Tim

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

No, but I have been considering doing just that on my car. I suspect the best way to prep that part would be to have it chemically stripped back to bare metal, or blasted clean with a soda blaster that will not remove any texture pattern from the metal. After that, painting it is like painting any other metal part.

During restoration, I have removed the whole dashboard assembly and took it apart. All metal parts were media blasted to the bare metal. The dashboard itself was then primered, fillered, sanded and painted in medium blue with satin clearcoat.

The reinforcements, all of them, were zinc plated after blasting for corrosion protection. One of them is seen on the first photo lying across the cluster opening.

DSC01012.JPG

DSC01967.JPG

During restoration, I have removed the whole dashboard assembly and took it apart. All metal parts were media blasted to the bare metal. The dashboard itself was then primered, fillered, sanded and painted in medium blue with satin clearcoat.

The reinforcements, all of them, were zinc plated after blasting for corrosion protection. One of them is seen on the first photo lying across the cluster opening.
HA - 'Spechti' :exclamation:

That sounded very german and familiar to me - love your famous restoring-thread which gave me a lots of inspirations to mine...

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/1971-ford-mustang-mustang-mach-1-restaurierungs-thread-t2523372.html

:udaman:

"Beste Grüße"

Tim

Back