Pet-Peeve #163...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

One of the most enduring, die-hard pet peeves of mine is how some idiot drivers react whenever they see a nice collector driving along to someplace.

It seems that whenever I take my Mustang to "Old Town" in Kissimmee for thier weekly Saturday- night cruise, I always have occasion to run across some jerk in a late-model hot-rod, or maybe a beat-up riced-over Jap-car as I'm tooling down the hiway. It is about a 60-mile trip along a 65mph-speed-limit hiway from my house to Kissimmee, and I usually just cruise along about 70 in the right lane. Traffic usually cruises about 80 mph on this stretch.

Most other drivers are polite: thumbs up, smiles and big waves for the most part...but always seems to be someone who is just a little too testosterone-fueled to pass up a chance to show off thier own car, wether it is a nice new one or just some random shit-wagon. They pull up alongside, honk thier horns to get your attention, jump thier car few times signalling thier intentions. When I just smile back politely and give a friendly wave, they eventually get the hint that I am not going to put the hammer down on my 44 year old car just to see if some newer car can beat me. It probably can!

They sometimes get annoyed at the non-response and then floor thier own car anyway, spewing fumes and smoke along the way.

Believe it or not, this happens WAY more often whenever I am out riding my bike. I ride a big Star Raider ( Yamaha), and its a pretty bad-ass bike for a big cruiser. Invariably, some douchebag on a sportbike, or even on a Harley will come along and rev the snot out of thier engine, looking for an impromptu face-off. I alway just motor on steadily.

I ride the bike a lot ( like a lot of others in this part of the country), so this happens with some regularity.

Ok, rant over

I have never had this issue, they will pull up by me and give a thumbs up, but never try to race me.

like you said its 42+ yrs old, why push it!!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep get the wanna race thing too. It's near always a brand spanking new performance car or a piece of crap. The bike thing is interesting. Back in the day this happened a bit. Even when your riding in a pack of say 20-30, some complete idiot wants to race everyone WTF. 20-30 patched up 1%er bad bastards and you wanna piss them off. Not even worth the effort of punching these clowns too dumb to comprehend what they get flogged for.

Ahh, Bakersfield....the absolute hottest place I ever visited.

I think it averaged over 118° every day the week we were there.

I just take is a compliment when they do that, or they just want to hear the engine roar, I don't think they really want to race, they're out of luck with me if they do because I won't do it.

It usually happens to me when I drive my 85 GT almost without fail. They assume everyone who owns one is a boy racer at heart.

People usually have more respect for the classics. But the ones with little to no exhaust are the ones I find most annoying. Louder exhaust does not usually mean it sounds better.

I usually stay calm and ignore them, but one day in the 68 GT I had a kid in a matte black neon riding my ass real bad. I finally lost my temper, dropped a gear, and nailed that 4 barrel. When I hit 100 mph in a 45 zone I decided I was being too stupid even for me and let off. While in my gear grabbing rage this little shit stayed right on my ass until I let off the gas and he screamed past me. As he went by I could hear his engine and it was so revved it was about to come apart. I learned something that day though...A 4 banger on NOS will keep up with an aspirated american V8.

When I was a teenager I was driving a 7 mile stretch between towns. I had a modern (early 90) car come up beside me and they were yelling at me to race. I kept waving them off because a. I was having overheating problems and b. The highway patrolman actually lived on the road. They last time they rolled up next to me was at about the time we passed the cops house. When I realized he was home I yelled "bye" and left them In The dust.

I beat them to town but had smoke trialling out from the hood. When dad came to het me he asked "what the hell are you doing to my baby". I told him "winning". He never brought it up again.

I usually stay calm and ignore them, but one day in the 68 GT I had a kid in a matte black neon riding my ass real bad. I finally lost my temper, dropped a gear, and nailed that 4 barrel. When I hit 100 mph in a 45 zone I decided I was being too stupid even for me and let off. While in my gear grabbing rage this little shit stayed right on my ass until I let off the gas and he screamed past me. As he went by I could hear his engine and it was so revved it was about to come apart. I learned something that day though...A 4 banger on NOS will keep up with an aspirated american V8.
Lol.

We had to teach one of the turbo 4 banger boys a lesson once ;). He was bragging how quick it was and how it smokes V8s all the time. So we lined him up next too Pigsdick's 454 Camaro. He got killed mumbled some crap about wouldn't happen again. Lined em up and just to rub it in we pulled a plug lead on the Chev :angel:. It ran like a pig but still beat his ricer. Dude got the shits,saying crap like oh its a stroker, you guys are racers etc etc. our answer yep it's a 496, its owned by a racer that's true but it is still a crappy NA V8,imagine if it was turboed or blown. Now shut up and F@ck off. :cool:

Never mentioned the times that we had been touched up by rotors or wild turbos fun the things you can forget

I'll never forget sitting at sitting at a stoplight on a main street on Ft Wayne Indiana as an 18year old tech school student with three friends heading for lunch. I had fixed up a wrecked 1978 Ford Fiesta bone stock no performance modifications with the exception of a Mister gasket "T" handle and a killer stereo. My commute each day required a fuel saver. I slowly pulled up beside a late model corvette.The driver of the corvette looked to be in his late 60's early 70's and he had a woman with him that was of similar age. I instructed my friends ," don't laugh and look serious, were gonna make this guys day. I looked over at him with the sternest of looks reved up the worn out 4 banger and gave him... the nod of the head. Which means its on buddy to the next stoplight. He laughed, his wife laughed and the boys in my car couldn't contain themselves at that point. Light turned green and he nailed it and I felt good because I just made his day. Dennis

saludar a mi hija

images
:huh:

LOL perfectly execution of the translation....and Kurt the bad thing is he lives EXACTLY in her territory!!! Think I should drop a dime on him????? :D
That doesn't look like a MDPD cruiser to me. Is that a Brevard County unit?

-Kurt

P.S.: I'd love to find a genuine ex-MDPD (bonus points if it is ex-Diamond Cab too) 1977 Dodge Monaco. Down here, they don't exist - not even the civilian versions.

Yep, that's a Brevard County cruiser...the space shuttle at the front of the stripe gives it away.

It's amazing how many farting Japanese cars pull up next to me and want to race.
Average ricer logic:

"If it happens in The Fast and The Furious, then my car should be able to do that too!"

-Kurt

Back