VIN, VIN, wheres my VIN

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang H Code Mach 1

I'm having a bit of an identity crisis...

1. Can't find my title... found several others from cars I've cannibalized but not for the car I have... I will find it, it's just in 30+ years of lifes paperwork somewhere.

2. Can't find the VIN in the places I know to look... dash, door, etc...

Is it anywhere else on the car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if your car has had previous paint work, the Vin may have to be scratched out. I found this on my 1972, but had to look very carefully as the previous owner painted over this with heavy coating. However, could be recovered by carefully rubbing down the paint and then scratching out the stamping:

IMG_1333.JPG

Also, if your car has had previous paint work, the Vin may have to be scratched out. I found this on my 1972, but had to look very carefully as the previous owner painted over this with heavy coating. However, could be recovered by carefully rubbing down the paint and then scratching out the stamping:
A handy trick is to use play-dough and smash it against the underside of the fender apron, which will leave a reverse stamp of the VIN. This works real well if the paint is obscuring the VIN on top.

VIN is also on back of motor, top of transmission, LH door tag, under carpet on possible build sheet, radiator support buck tag.

Good luck!
Never thought this would turn into such a head scratcher...

Been no less than 7 or 8 engines in it, never had oem trans, not oem doors, no build sheet, on its 2nd core support, too much paint on the aprons, my dear old mother can't remember where her teeth are let alone tell me if the title was in all the stuff she gave me almost 30 years ago when I abandon the nest. ... lol, oh dam, I guess I need to go the bmv... after I find those teeth.

Time to bite the bullet and remove the Imron.

-Kurt
I know... :(

A wire brush under the fenders is next.....they can't both be donors, can they?!
Yeah, they can, I don't know any details but I do know this car dead centered a tree when it was brand new and ate a pole about a year before i got it. (so said the second owner)

Back