Windshield trim removal procedures

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbnelle

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
91 GT Convertible
Since the weather is starting to get better, I was wondering if someone could share a procedure to remove the trim around the windshield (73 convertible).

I started to play around with it a little late last fall but couldn't seem to loosen the trim.

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmm... i know there´s a specific tool to do that.. i saw once a pic scott sent me about this particular job.. Ask him... Scott is Qcode something... dont remember exactly his nickname but he is the guy who posts the videos of his body work in his mach 1...

Dont try to force them because they are very fragile and maybe, if the graps has sylicon on it, it is gonna be hard to remove the trim smoothly...

If you brake the original ones, the replicas are thinner and not that good...

Hope it helps Joe!

there is a tool kind with a edge you put it under the trim like a slim jim and grab the clip with the edge then pull back to release it from holding the trim on.

T296-C.jpg

71-3 front windshield trim is ...

Sides screwed on

L & R upper has 5 studs, have to remove interior windshield trim and sunvisors to access the nuts.

Don

there is a tool kind with a edge you put it under the trim like a slim jim and grab the clip with the edge then pull back to release it from holding the trim on.

T296-C.jpg
Convertibles dont use this tool, nuts and screws hidden under the interior trim pieces. ANd under the door window rubber gasket. Also look down the pillar into the fender there is a screw there, hard to get to with the fender on, use a wrench on it it should be a hex head screw, dont remove it just loosen it a turn or so the trim is slotted so it slides out.

Also when you reinstall it dont forget to make a gasket for the big stainless molding that runs across the top, it is a foam gasket about 3/4" thick and may have turned to dust on yours when you remove it, it seals against the glass to keep water from riding up the windshiled into the frame and then onto your lap.

Last edited by a moderator:

T296-C.jpg
Convertibles dont use this tool, nuts and screws hidden under the interior trim pieces. ANd under the door window rubber gasket. Also look down the pillar into the fender there is a screw there, hard to get to with the fender on, use a wrench on it it should be a hex head screw, dont remove it just loosen it a turn or so the trim is slotted so it slides out.

Also when you reinstall it dont forget to make a gasket for the big stainless molding that runs across the top, it is a foam gasket about 3/4" thick and may have turned to dust on yours when you remove it, it seals against the glass to keep water from riding up the windshiled into the frame and then onto your lap.
Thanks jorgem...

Back