Should I go with a crate motor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Okay...I'm thinking about starting the restoration on my '72 Camaro. It currently has a 350 in it. It's in okay shape but nothing great. My debate is whether to get it rebuilt or just buy a crate motor. I'm not looking for anything super fast, maybe 300HP or so. It seems it might be just as cheap to buy one already done. The current motor is not matching numbers anyway. I know you guys know a lot more about it than I do so I thought I'd throw it out there for some advice.

I was looking at something simple like this. http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/small-block-350-290-hp.html

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crate engine! Most all are offered with some sort of warranty. No hauling blocks, heads, etc back and forth to the machine shop. Then you get the call the heads, or rods, or crank, or fill in the blank is bad. More money and more trips to the machine shop. Been there, done that!

I'd even look at Summit or Jegs and compare prices. Last time I looked they had a lot of GM crate engines. And you just can't beat the tolerances and the quality that comes with these engines versus the shop built one. I sold a lot of Ford Motorsport crate engines when I was at the dealership for kit cars and Mustangs for the very same reasons.

And since your already not numbers matching, you don't have to worry about losing the original engine. Good luck on your Camaro project!

The 350/290 has a flat tappet cam. SBCs love to eat their cams. I'd really consider finding an engine with a roller cam and more compression. IIRC the heads on that crate engine are what you'd have gotten a million years ago too. Vortec or many "fast burn" style heads are so much better. That engine is cheap and new but it is so easy to get 400 HP from a SBC I'd hate to give up so much.

I just put an L31 Vortec in a Vette. With a few basic mods it really runs better than the slug it was stock. The low compression limits the overall package though.

I put a ZZ4+ crate 350 in my 79 Z-28. Think I paid $3500 or so ( long time ago... :))

Best choice ever! That engine completely transformed that car! Very fast, excellent throttle response, smooth running...never had a moment of trouble for over 60,000 miles until I sold it.

Could never have built the same engine for the same money.

Well I guess that was a no brainer?! I appreciate your quick input. I was thinking that it made sense but needed a little reassurance I guess. I hear you guys on getting the something a little stronger. While I do want to keep the price within reason it probably makes sense to push for ~400 HP since it appears not to be a drastic increase. I did see so many in Jegs, Summit, etc. but they do get up there quick. Let my homework begin! oh,

and Kit, I did see the ZZ4 crate and it looks pretty good. http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/small-block-zz4-350.html

I agree. A crate engine is the way to go. I'm not sure that is the best one for you project. As noted by others, a flat tappet cam can get wiped and that may necessitate a complete teardown. Not saying the flat tappet cams don't work, but government regulations resulted in changes that are not friendly to flat tappet cams. There are additives, but you need to be aware. Good luck with your project.

If you want a fantastically-built custom engine for a good price, check CME ( Carolina Machine Engine).

They built me a kick-ass 460 for my '76 Torino that is as sweet as any engine I have ever had.

I highly recommend them.

If you want a fantastically-built custom engine for a good price, check CME ( Carolina Machine Engine).

They built me a kick-ass 460 for my '76 Torino that is as sweet as any engine I have ever had.

I highly recommend them.
Thanks Kit...they do have a large selection and great reputation.

ZZ4. Aluminum heads, roller cam. 400 ft lbs. No brainer.
I'm leaning is this direction too. Probably going to work with whoever I go with to get it as complete as possible so I know everything is matched up right. I'm not a great mechanic so it will be easier to talk with the engine people and get everything set up right so I don't have all these little surprises...especially with all the pulley system on the front of the motor.

The L31 is a great value. New cam and you can make some decent power. My truck is getting one this fall

The SBC is also fun in larger inch versions. I have 383, 406 and 427 mice running around. Chevy has 383 crate engines. Stroke is your friend.

Spending your money is easy and the BOSS is not even giving me "that look".

The SBC is also fun in larger inch versions. I have 383, 406 and 427 mice running around. Chevy has 383 crate engines. Stroke is your friend.

Spending your money is easy and the BOSS is not even giving me "that look".
lol..I know what you mean! It's easy to get wide-eyed looking at all these motors. Just need to get the biggest bang for the buck.

JHawk

You need to take a trip to Branson. Then you can feel what the inches do for power and drivability. We have lots of flavors to choose from :)
Sounds like a road trip may be in order! My wife says I have the cart before the horse... haven't even started the restoration. It's called motivation!

I have the most fun with a car when it got the right drivetrain and before the new paint goes on. Once it's got fresh paint I worry too much about messing it up to use it the way I want to.

I've got a 350 385hp Crate Motor in my 71 Camaro mated to a th350..Wasn't my choice thats how she came runs good I had to do some upgrades so probably pushing 400hp...When it comes time for a new motor I'm going Ls3 why?

Because I also have a 05 Vette with the Ls motor..NO COMPARISON If you have the coin I'd do the total package, if it's out of budget you can still do a ls swap on the cheap look around the nasty z28 forums for ideas But the hot ticket is the ls series of crate motors you can even go carburetor if you like http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LS3-CONNECT-AND-CRUISE-CRATE-ENGINE-CPSLS34L65E-P18236C1079.aspx

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LSX376-B8-Crate-Engine-19171049-19260831-P10784C943.aspx

Back