Don65Stang's 73 vert planning and ideas thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
Front and rear idea

IMG_1633.JPG

dsc_4306 copy.jpg

yellow-f50-ferrari-for-sale-new-first-owner

I'll use a Mach 1 grill, front spoiler and dual exhaust cutouts valence.

My car currently has a flat hood so I may use the Sprint hood treatment but in black or argent.

Sprint Vert.jpg

73 Mach 1 stripe (minus the Mach 1 name) or no stripe or no stripe and blacked out lower

red cropped.jpg

100_0350 cropped.jpg

72mustang71 cropped.jpg

I think I like the 73 side stripe minus the Mach 1 name.

Colors under consideration (Note: It will have a white interior and black top and it will have the BOSS or Sprint hood and tail light panel treatment)

Red, Blue glow, or yellow

View attachment 32004

light blue cropped.jpg

17 1971 Ford Mustang Convertible.jpg

18792909-770-0@2X.jpg

med blue cropped black top.jpg

I need more pics of Lux's car. Hint, hint. Side shots, front, rear, top up, top down, etc. :)
More pics with the co-owner, too. ;) :D

attachment.php

I think this picture shows my least favorite thing about the '73s: the front end looks really heavy because of the light color on that huge bumper. Having the light color on the bigger front bumper, along with the smaller wheels/tires he used to have (when this picture was taken) makes the front end seem so big and heavy. You look at the same car with the big '73 bumpers painted with darker colors (like Thin Lizzy's) and the bumper doesn't seem nearly as large or like it's weighing down the nose of the car.

Don't get me wrong - I love Jeff's car. The new wheels and stance it has definitely helps it seem smaller and more agile (and I'll bet it is in reality as well). I'm sure the angle of this pic doesn't help, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like your "rear idea" !!! :)

I need more pics of Lux's car. Hint, hint. Side shots, front, rear, top up, top down, etc. :)
Ask and you shall receive. :)

Side shot

IMG_0848.JPG

A little higher

IMG_0847.JPG

Side shot top down

Fotoa(3).jpg

Front (before the vinyl blackout was applied to recessed area on the hood)

IMG_0972.JPG

"Upskirt" :)

IMG_0846a.jpg

Rear with Mach1 deck lid stripe

FullSizeRender.jpg

Burning rubber (ok, that explains a lot, doesn´t it?) :)

vlcsnap-2012-03-01-21h28m31s71.png

Perfect! Thanks Mike.

I'm leaning toward either a bright Farrari type yellow or the muted yellow like on Jeff's car.

The blue glow,is still on the table.

Don

I've been pulling my hair out for a year on what to do with my 73 vert I went back and forth between a red or pewter Mach 1 look(with spoiler). I finally settled on red than ran into the millions of different reds. I picked a tornado red from VW, painted the cab, then changed my mined to viper red. Next came what you ran into above with what trim: moldings one wheel wheels, 73 side decal or hockey stick with or without blackout below. As soon as think I know what I want I change my mind. My favorite so far is the red, hockey stick, blackout and trim on wheel wells. The only thing I'm struggling with is I hate the way the bottom blackout on the front valance and don't really like painting the front valance two colors to get it to line up with the bumper. If I were to go yellow I would do the exact same but now trim on wheel wells. I would also go darker yellow like my old 05.

Mine is pretty close to the Ferrari yellow hue.

I asked the paint guy to make mine Corvette´s "Millennium Yellow" but it turns out it´s not Millennium Yellow after all. You only notice the difference when it´s parked next to a Corvette. It most definitely looks the part though.

I´ve had my paint remixed for touch up jobs and the shop made their computer check for a match and there is actually no car on the market that has this particular color. Guess my paint guys had some left over yellow that they used and thought was close enough or they had it mixed based upon a wrong formula, who knows.

But for reference think Corvette yellow and you get a pretty good idea of my hue of yellow.

You never know how monitors are gonna display colors.

I don´t wanna add to your confusion because I know how hard it is to decide on a color but these days I´m really leaning towards Grabber Green with argent rocker panels and no stripes.

Or silver with the whole Mach1 treatment in black (sans "Mach1" script).

Front and rear idea

yellow-f50-ferrari-for-sale-new-first-owner

I'll use a Mach 1 grill, front spoiler and dual exhaust cutouts valence. Rear spoiler???

My car currently has a flat hood so I may use the Sprint hood treatment but in black.

73 Mach 1 stripe (minus the Mach 1 name) or no stripe or no stripe and blacked out lower

I think I like the 73 side stripe minus the Mach 1 name.

Colors under consideration (Note: It will have a white interior and black top and it will have the BOSS hood and tail light panel treatment)

Red, Blue glow, or yellow

Hey Don,

I'm sure this vert is going to come out awesome no matter what color/treatments you pick.

Here's what I think:

No rear spoiler, I don't think it flows well with the lines of the car on a coupe or vert. I would take mine off in a minute if there were no holes in the truck lid. I like both the sprint and boss hood treatments, they would both look great. I'm leaning toward the boss treatment. I've always loved the lower black out and no stripes, like the bond car. For me it depends on your wheel choice.

On the color choice, if you're definitely going with black stripes, I would go with either red or muted yellow. I love the blue glow, probably my favorite color choice... but black stripes don't work as well as argent IMHO. That picture you posted of the blue glow, white interior and black top, no stripes or black out with magnums look awesome! I like it. Good luck.

I struggled with choosing for several years and you all know where I went with it. Sometimes looking at all the pictures can make you go crazy. The good news is you have a great car to start with so there are so many paint schemes that will be absolutely gorgeous. I know...no real help here but it's something that gets down to where your heart is. Cheers and can't wait to see it progress!

Yeah John, I know what you mean. Your car looks amazing and I dig the bright chrome wheels against dark colors.

There was a study done once of the top car colors vs. number of speeding tickets given. The "fastest" colors were red, black and yellow.

There was a study done once of the top car colors vs. number of speeding tickets given. The "fastest" colors were red, black and yellow.

That´s because yellow paint immediately adds 25 HP to your car!

That is also why they look fast standing still because they have that 25 HP head start. :)

I do know that I get pulled over whenever and where ever our friends in uniform see me coming.

Pete, somehow I missed your post. I agree with your thoughts. I like a really clean look. I think hockey stripes and the rear spoiler look good together for the decked out appearance but not when going for the clean look.

All my kids picked the bright yellow color. My wife likes blue glow. My two favorites are blue glow with argent stripe/argent boss hood but not the argent rear and the other favorite is bright yellow with black boss hood and Lux's rear treatment with no stripes if bright yellow but with the black side stripe if muted yellow.

I have enough spare parts to give it a full 71/72 front end and may do that as well. Either way it will have the Mach 1 grill.

It will be lowered and will have 17 or 18-inch wheels. It will eerily look like Mike's wheels if bright yellow or John's wheels if blue glow.

So many choices! But I am narrowing it down. Thanks for the comments. This car will be my daily driver when done.

I got the Marti report yesterday...

Mustang 2-Door Convertible

302-2V V-8 Engine

Bright Red Paint, Ford #3560

A White Knitted Vinyl Bucket Seats

C-4 Select Shift Automatic Transmission

3.00 Conventional Rear Axle

Atlanta DSO (District Sales Office)

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

-White Power Top w/Glass Backlite

-GR78X14 Radial White Sidewall Tires

-Power Steering

-Console

-Bumper Rub Strips

-Floor Mats

- Selectaire Air Conditioner

-AM Radio

-Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

-Wheel Covers Your vehicle was actually produced on April 5, 1973 -- six days ahead of schedule

So I'm still leaning toward bright Ferrari yellow. I'm also considering using my set of 15" wheels with the dog dish and trim rings...need to play with the side shot of Mike's car and photoshop the dog dish wheels on it.

Today I cleaned out the trunk and decided the Trunk Rehab thread will be useful. I knew a Taillight panel replacement was needed but 1/4th of the trunk floor near the tail light panel is rusted too. :/

You could paint the rims body color and use only dog dishes with no trim rings. Mopar style. That would look terrific!

So many choices.

But I saw in your post #14 the words "Daily Driver". Stay with the light colors. Yellow is a good choice for not showing dirt/dust.

I did see this car and took a couple of pictures a few months ago. The blue is beautiful but probably not good for daily driving. Also, this person couldn't make up their mind on strips and trim options. ;) Still a beautiful car:

I'd skip the rear spoiler they just don't look right on a vert or hardtop body style and I would skip the stripe on the side also. I do like the lower body color on verts. I love the bright blue color with black lower body color. If your going to use a body stripe go black. Are you going to put a NACA hood on the car if so I'd either use the boss 351 treatment or nothing at all. I know everybody has different taste but you asked.

I did ask and I appreciate the excellent feedback and ideas.

Today I'm leaning toward bright Ferrari yellow and considering a BOSS 351 theme (minus the Boss351 decals and side stripe) with blacked out NASA hood and blacked out rear tail light panel.

Back