Maintaining guns in high humidity

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Howdy all

After a week of heavy rain I have spent the morning cleaning all my guns. I live in a very humid and hot region so they get a once over sort of every 3-6 weeks if even Iam not using them. lately I have been spraying them with triple action G96 complete gun treatment and putting them in silica gun socks and that seems to be working fine.

What do you guys do to try to combat moisture from high humidity just out of interest. Tips and tricks always welcome

I just keep my guns well oiled/greased. I store them muzzle down just incase I use too much oil and risk staining the stock's wood. Happened to an old shotgun of mine and I don't want to risk it again.

You oil yours more ofter than I have time to oil all of ours.. If you find it works for ya keep doing it :)

Gun safe with a dehumidifier is the best way to go i think, no amount of grease or oil will stop humidty in the end " it helps thou" , Silicone packets can help a lot too...I keep every silicone package i see now, see a big bag of them pop out of a nice big box ..grab them up and stick them in my safe and everything else . silica gun socks do help i hear..i got one " but i don't fully trust it"

Other than that, i clean it " even when it is not dirty" Moisture does not give a damn about oil and cleaners in the long run..just like a engine block full of oil and cleaners, " it won't care" I learned long ago cosmoline and oils just not good enough " but helps if you got nothing else" i got some nice magazines for a 308 m14 that where packed in cosmoline, they did not work well..I figured cause it was full of cosmoline " which it was " Not only was it full of cosmoline, it was also full of rust!! , on the outside they was nice, on the inside they looked like they was from ww2 ;) moisture worked right around and still got in and ruined the magazine. Ugh!! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use silica packets. I save every one I get, and use a hole punch to perforate small empty ammo boxes, and stuff the packets in them.

About 3-4 times a year, I bake them at 150 degrees (Fahrenheit) for a few hours to release the moisture they absorbed.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way answer, Luke. Seems there's lots of opinions available.

I've read 50/50 opinions on using silicone in any way on firearms. I think the issue is mainly on wood finishes not agreeing with something in it. WD40 seems to be an overall hot topic on metal protection, too (believe that one, uhh).

I've used both with no problems.

I did ruin the bluing on my favorite postwar Mossberg .22 by... inadvertently... leaving it in a typical foam lined hard case... in my van, outside, in the winter, for 2 months or so. Ate the bluing right off, stuck it to the foam with rust. I was mortified at my own neglect. Still am, actually. So, as a rule, my foam cased pieces get checked on much

My SKS and one early Mauser 8mm were delivered to me in cosmoline. The SKS was all right underneath, but the 8mm was a rusty mess like Hyena described. The jury is still out on that subject with me.

I'd agree with your current methods. I prefer appreciating the artwork and mechanical beings that they are, but only occasionally maintain with a wipedown. I just use basic gun oils (ie. Outers or Remington, etc.) and don't have a favorite or preference. Fortunately, I don't live in an excessively humid area and honestly don't do as much as I should/could, and certainly no where near a schedule as regimented as yours. Aside from the Mossy, I don't have a rust issue on any piece to speak of, really.

I shoot mainly .22LR, and the opinions of BORE maintenance are by far more hotly contested than any external preservation than I've ever seen. I would think that a spotless bore is best, but doesn't seem to be the generally accepted method in the rimfire circles. Even my brother's aftermarket 10/22 Kidd barrel came with instructions to only use solvents and oils followed by a dry patch to clean, no brushes of any sort.

Back