Cleveland Quench Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have a Cleveland 4V with D0AE block and head stamps.

I always assumed these were quench heads and now I find

different. They are open chamber.

mike
...and the survey says, the only DOAE 351 closed chamber heads were suffix letters G, M, and N.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my knowledge 4V closed chamber (quench) heads with non-adjustable rockers generally came with 2-bolt blocks, those with adjustable rockers came with 4-bolt blocks.

The engine I have in my car was pulled from a 70 Torino wagon back in the late 70's. At least that's what I was told when I got it. The guy I got it from worked at a salvage yard and pulled it himself. It has closed chambered 4v heads and 2 bolt mains. The engine certainly appeared to have never been apart until I tore it apart.

Simple question to all.

Did any engines with true 4v heads come standard with 2 bolt blocks?
Yes Jim, the exact same engine as we got here for standard Falcon GT's (HO engines had 2 bolts too) with big port Cleveland engines, all 2 bolt mains with 4V closed chambered heads. Only 73 on XA GT auto's had 2V heads and as you'd know no more 4V's after 73 manual XB GT's.Only closed chambered 4V engine with 4 bolt mains was the Boss 351, and all open chambered 4V engines have 4bolt mains and no open chambered 4V engines came to Australia, as the government had killed our true muscle cars by then.

If I remember correctly those were GA heads

Closed chamber

All 70 and 71 heads had the D0 casting numbers

Casting number changed for open D2 heads

70 and 71 were 2 bolt blocks - except for the Boss motors

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another problem.

One Mustang book states all heads/blocks with D0AE numbers were quench, closed chamber.

Another Mustang book tells me if there is a "dot" next to the "4" on the head it is open chamber.

I am confused! Picture below. Does not matter. My mechanic took the car for some work and

on returning he had the Mustang up to 85 and jammed the gas pedal. Car took off like it was shot

from a canon. This has a 2.75 rear and waiting to install 3.50. Maybe a bad idea?

mike

P5050711.JPG

You'll love the 3.50 gears unless you do a lot of interstate miles at 70 mph. It'll be ok at 70 but your rpms will be between 3000 to 3500 depending on tire size. That's not terrible but is on the high side. If your drive is mostly around town your smile will be a permanent fixture.

3.50s are my favorite gears for a good compromise for mixes city and some interstate. With 3.25s being a close second if mostly interstate without overdrive.

Your M-code will do awesome with them.

There is another problem. One Mustang book states all heads/blocks with D0AE numbers were quench, closed chamber. Another Mustang book tells me if there is a "dot" next to the "4" on the head it is open chamber. I am confused!
from post 2.

...and the survey says, the only DOAE 351 closed chamber heads were suffix letters G, M, and N.

My mechanic took the car for some work and on returning he had the Mustang up to 85 and jammed the gas pedal. Car took off like it was shot from a canon. This has a 2.75 rear and waiting to install 3.50. Maybe a bad idea?
that is because he was at around 3000 rpm when he floored it.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

if you do much freeway driving at 70 mph, i would use 3.25 . . if you want it fast off the line but still do 70 mph driving, i would install around a 2600 rpm stall converter.

if you want it fast off the line but do a lot of freeway driving at 65 mph, i would use 3.40 gears and a stall converter.

Barnett - the car is a 4 speed.

Heads - the dot after the 4 is meaningless. There is a lot of mis-information. What is the production date code? That's the best way to tell quench or open. Either way both heads are excellent. According to the Ford Off Road Parts Manual the only real benefit of the quench heads is a little more low end torque.

If I remember correctly those were GA heads

Closed chamber

All 70 and 71 heads had the D0 casting numbers

Casting number changed for open D2 heads

70 and 71 were 2 bolt blocks - except for the Boss motors
That book I sent, bottom of page 61.

Maybe that calls the rest of the book

into question.

mike

Back