Head Identification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1
I attached some pictures of my closed chamber 4V heads which if I’m not mistaken have a casting date of Jan 14, 1970. Can anyone tell me what the numbers in the circle identify? 13579.
Thanks,
Randy

Attachments

• IMG_5477.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5478.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5475.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
0A1 casting date indicates Jan 1, 1970, the "4" in the upper corners of the head indicate a 4 barrel M-code head, so they're D0AE-N castings. You have the Crane conversion kit that gives you an adjustable valvetrain and guideplates for the pushrods,

The date on that head is 1970 Jan 14. The others in the circle are probably shift ID and no relevance to the casting as far as we're concerned imo.
If you could see the casting numbers, you'd probably find D0AE-G, M, N or R for 62.8cc closed chamber heads.
Mustangtek.com is a pretty good source of information.

0A1 casting date indicates Jan 1, 1970, the "4" in the upper corners of the head indicate a 4 barrel M-code head, so they're D0AE-N castings. You have the Crane conversion kit that gives you an adjustable valvetrain and guideplates for the pushrods,
Are you sure? I see 0 A 14

yes, you're correct. Bunged that one up....

View attachment 85699
Well, I got ya back for the last one where I said 0 1 2 instead of 0 L 2 that you corrected me on.
We can all make mistakes........ said the Hedgehog climbing of the clothes brush.

Well, I got ya back for the last one where I said 0 1 2 instead of 0 L 2 that you corrected me on.
We can all make mistakes........ said the Hedgehog climbing of the clothes brush.

LOL, so true...

Thanks guys, I'm aware of everything other than the numbers in the circle and I wasn't sure if they had any relevance.
They use similar in plastic injection molding. It is for their tracking, shift, date and maybe cavity (or pattern) number. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back