Are these heads anything special?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 351C Grabber Lime Green
Here are the particulars. They look good, but obviously need work. They are old and not bright and shiny. :) Just some old engine heads. But this guy claims they are worth more than I think so, but I wanted to check. If they are worth what he is asking I may pick them up in case anybody else needs a set here or for a backup set for me to work on and learn as I go.

I have a set of 1971 351c open chamber heads. These are bare heads that will probably need to be machined.

The numbers:

Casting: D1ZE-DA

D1ZE-DA Cylinder Heads Cleveland V8 1971 351C-CJ (Cobra Jet), 75.4cc open chambers, 2.19/1.71 valves

Date casting: 1M13

Year 1 = 1971

Month M = Dec.

A - January

B - February

C - March

D - April

E - May

F - June

G - July

H - August

I - (not used)

J - September

K - October

L - November

M - December

Day = 13

13th day of the month.

Selling as-is

If they are 100% original and have never been rebuilt, I wouldn't pay more than $200-$300 depending on condition. I bought my 71 4V quench heads in similar shape to what you are describing for $250 for the pair. But since then I've put about $1700 in machine work and parts to rebuild them to a pretty high standard. You need to factor in the cost of the rebuild parts so you can tell if the deal sounds good enough to purchase.

Those are 1972 351 4V CJ heads based on date code and part number. Same part number was used for 1971 also. For a set of these stock heads needing rebuild $200 to $300 seems right. They are open chamber.

Back