Pat, thanks, that looks like a way for me to go so I can get it back on the road.

Measure them when you pull them out of the box, before you press bearings and studs onto them. If you remember my axle debacle, they were in the right part number box, with the right part number sticker on them, but 1.5" short.

PS, axle retainer plates, then bearings, then retainer ring.

;)

1973 Mach 1 Q code 351 4V, 9A paint, standard interior, 3.50 rear, C6 trans.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, boys and girls, the car is back on the road. Keeping with Chuck's request that we follow up with the results on a thread, here we go.

Don at OMS was able to get me two good axles and in the mail the day after I contacted him, he also saved me about $250.00 over ordering a new set, not to mention the 3 week (+) wait. I used the shop recommended by Pat to get my drive shaft retubed and balanced. Had a local transmission shop put in new 3.5 ratio gears, all new bearing and seals and 21 tooth speedo gears so my speedometer is correct with the new gears.

All I can say is WOW! Replacing the 3.00 gears with 3.5 gears makes all the difference in the feel of the car when accelerating. Plus repairing the driveline, axles and bearings makes it as smooth as a Cadillac going down the freeway, not a vibration one. I had grown use to driveline noise and unexplained slight vibrations had thought it was normal, plus my flow master 40's masked a lot of it, but I do notice it now that it's gone. I would highly recommend the 3.5 gears, I had it on the freeway today at 70 MPH and had no problem with the RPMs even though it was higher than with the old gears, a very noticeable performance improvement over the 3.0 gears. It makes a lot more torque available for normal driving.

After picture:

Repaired.thumb.jpg.e0adff87b94dff16bcda90a1a5637406.jpg

Before picture:

Unrepaired.jpg.13d4bc3f52fa2538427a5ce5729597d7.jpg

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

Jim, I'm glad it turned out the way you wanted. Thanks for posting results.

Chuck

Coolio. Is it still an open carrier, or did you add a trackloc or locker?

1973 Mach 1 Q code 351 4V, 9A paint, standard interior, 3.50 rear, C6 trans.

The rear looks really good Jim. I did the same with my gearing, went to traction lock from 3.25 to 3.89 and boy does that make a difference.

-john

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Coolio. Is it still an open carrier, or did you add a trackloc or locker?

It's still an open carrier but now with the new 3.5 gears I can see where positive traction would come in handy, it breaks traction really easy now. I can see with any shorter gears such as John's 3.89 traction lock would be a must.

The rear looks really good Jim. I did the same with my gearing, went to traction lock from 3.25 to 3.89 and boy does that make a difference.

-john

Thanks John, I can just imagine the difference the 3.89 with traction lock would make.

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear