Fitting Edelbrock Performer, ditch valley pan?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

win1897

Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportroof 351c 4v
Hi, just fitting Edelbrock Performer to my 351 4V, I read all the literature and know to pull out the dowel pins and not use the rubber valley seals but there is no mention of what to do with the actual pan. This is the first time the original manifold has been off and there were no gaskets at all on the inlet, just the steel valley pan, I was surprised to see the size of the Edelbrock ports, they are about a third smaller than the original huge 4V jobs, guess they did this for the bottom end? Thanks in advance

just wondering what # that intake you got?all my intakes match the ports on the heads.mismatched ports make bad airflow,bad airflow makes bad power curves.i dont believe there should be a large differance in port sizes.you might have a 2V intake by mistake.looking at my 4V heads and a performer 2V intake and the ports are about a third smaller

just wondering what # that intake you got?all my intakes match the ports on the heads.mismatched ports make bad airflow,bad airflow makes bad power curves.i dont believe there should be a large differance in port sizes.you might have a 2V intake by mistake.looking at my 4V heads and a performer 2V intake and the ports are about a third smaller

[/quot

I agree , I thought it looked wrong but I have checked the box , paperwork etc , all says its a 2665 4v intake and its even cast in on the top , I am going to start a new thread and include some pics , thx

I replied to the other post on the intake and here's my 2 cents worth here. I use the turkey pan under the intake to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake. even if it helps only a little I guess it's worth it. I have also blocked the heat crossove in the intake. In my opinion, since I'm using an electric choke the heat crossover is unnecessary. My advice would be to drill a 1/4" hole in each of the lower sections of the pan to allow for oil to drain as I have not seen a pan yet without some oil in it.

I wondered about gaskets in relation to the pan as original had absolutely nothing and I guarantee it had never been off , it was stuck on like glue , I guess ford probably used some kind of liquid gasket , though if they did it was very sparingly , there was no big bits of rtv or anything like stuck on

The smaller ports on the edelbrock intake are correct, to increase low end torque, although any power increase anywhere is very slight.

The valley pan was used to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake, but, the aluminum dissipates heat better, so I think its not needed. I've tried it with the pan and without, and didn't notice any difference.

Back