LED bulb install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I am going to convert my dash cluster to LED's, can anybody give me a step by step on how to test the lights before I reinstall the cluster. I know the lights are polarity sensitive, so I want to make sure they are all working first.

Omie-

Presuming the cluster is still connected to the wiring harness (or can be)?

Step 1. Determine polarity :Check your LED lights leads- typically the positive is the longer lead. If not use a 9v battery to determine.

Step 2. Determine neg/ pos in the sockets. Insert LEDs accordingly. Insert sockets into cluster.

Step 3. Turn on headlight switch and watch them glow!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to convert my dash cluster to LED's, can anybody give me a step by step on how to test the lights before I reinstall the cluster. I know the lights are polarity sensitive, so I want to make sure they are all working first.
When I put mine in it didn't seem to have a polarity. Will rhey work both ways but maybe burn out faster if the are put in wrong.

I did a full reworking of my gauge cluster. Meaning that I took the entire thing apart, cleaned and repainted and removed some unnecessary pieces and installed LEDs. Before I put It all back together with the new circuit board, I plugged in the circuit board and the bulb pods with LEDs installed and tested without the gauges in. This allowed me to remove and reverse the polarity if needed and gave me the opportunity to ensure that they all worked. The I just marked with a silver sharpy which way they go. Now they look and work awesome!

I just installed my new LED's into my triple gauges and tested them with a 9v battery and they worked both ways, does this mean its ok to use them either way? I just got them from Superbrightled's.com. The vintage blue 220 degree.

My understanding is that they are polarity sensitive. The circuit map that came with the LEDs when I purchased them clearly showed ground and power. I just marked the sides of the sockets and made sure that the polarity was correct. Didn't test, just put it back and everything was fine. Just my experience.

Back